1911 Front Serrations

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by danf_fl, Aug 12, 2011.

1. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Going along with CA357's poll, I personally do not like the FS on a 1911.

Just wondering though, If one needs the FS to "press check" to see if the firearm is loaded, then why not use a 3 corner file on the barrel hood and make a small opening just large enough to see if there is a casing loaded or not?:confused:

2. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

I have never "press checked" to see if a round is loaded in any of my handguns. I rack the slide.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Rule Number One: All guns are always loaded.

4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed. That is why I always rack the slide back on any semi-handgun I pick up and visually check/inspect. ;)

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Probably still got all your fingers too. :D

6. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Same here. I don't even trust the loaded chamber indicators on my XDms. I always check the chamber.

7. Jake15

Jake15 New Member

Yes, guns are always loaded, and yes, when you pick up a pistol you should always rack the slide to see if its loaded, but the purpose of a press check is when your about to shoot, rack the slide then do a press check to make sure, then shoot. I have seen 1911 with a loaded chamber indicator notch cut out of the barrel hood, but unless your in good light and can get a good look at it, its pretty much useless, the only loaded chamber indicator I like is the kind that ruger has that pops up

8. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Agreed. I like the Ruger loaded chamber indicators, because they're so easy to see. I still rack the slide a few times on all my semi autos to make sure they're not loaded.

9. fisher79

fisher79 New Member

Oh great the ruger 1911 has a LCI now I'm not gonna buy one oh well saves me a few hundred bucks:)