ive looked at a few of the kimbers and also the para warthogs
what do you all suggest?
its a ways off im just trying to do some research
thanks for your time

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kimber Compact II. Look for an older model with the forged steel frame.
im more interested in something a little smaller like the kimber ultra carry

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
What caliber? If you are going to carry a .45, think about having to use it and how long it will take to get back on target after the first shot with a smaller, lighter 1911. That is the only reason I went to a 9mm for carry rather than my 1991A1 Government, which I still carry occasionally (at the range).

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
soo im interested in a 1911 for ccw.
ive looked at a few of the kimbers and also the para wathogs
what do you all suggest?
its a ways off im just trying to do some research
thanks for your time

I carry a 4.25" all steel frame and slide 1911 and it's the perfect gun for me. I love it. 7+1 rounds of .45 ACP is enough to keep anyone's head down and I always carry two spare mags, so I got enough to get me, and anyone in my vacinity out of trouble.

I carry either in a Blackhawk Serpa with an FBI Cant on my strong side hip, or in a Galco Miami Jackass shoulder rig and both are perfect for access and control.

In addition in this day and age, though not 100% legal I carry inside my backpack if I am going somewhere to eat where I might be removing my jacket or over shirt. Backpacks are EVERYWHERE these days and no one even looks twice at it. Obviously I would recommend this for anyone else as it's not 100% legal - it's merely something that I have been known to do. In the past. Prior to right now. :rolleyes:

JD

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What caliber? If you are going to carry a .45, think about having to use it and how long it will take to get back on target after the first shot with a smaller, lighter 1911. That is the only reason I went to a 9mm for carry rather than my 1991A1 Government, which I still carry occasionally (at the range).
i want a .45
i shoot a standard 1911 soo i sorta know what to expect
and when i get the smaller ill refine my skills with it

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're really only talking about an inch shorter barrel. The frames are the same size. You also can't get the Ultra with a steel frame.
good point
i think im gonna have to get a few in my hands and see what feels right

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I carry a 4.25" all steel frame and slide 1911 and it's the perfect gun for me. I love it. 7+1 rounds of .45 ACP is enough to keep anyone's head down and I always carry two spare mags, so I got enough to get me, and anyone in my vacinity out of trouble.
4 inch, all steel is really where it's at. They're short enough to conceal, yet long and heavy enough to keep controllability up.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
You say that now, way till you shoot my beloved little T3 from Nighthawk. :D
I'd happily run a few boxes through it, but I'm a fan of tapered cone barrels. The added weight forward of the grip helps get the muzzle back down. It also seems to help get the action to lock back up quicker.

The only thing that I have to compare it to is a Couple of Commanders though, so I could be taking out of my ***.

You have a full sized Nighthawk?

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
You have a full sized Nighthawk?
You bet, the GRP, which I ran through Valhalla with over 400 rounds and never had a hiccup. That thing is a work of art - first one I bought and that lead to two more... evil, vile creatures. They call to you like the Siren's Song - it's terrible....:D

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
soo ive narrowed it down between the
kimber ultra carry
and the para warthog

i've been seeing some reviewers of the warthog say they get alot of failure to feed issues but it's easily fixed with a replacement spring in the clips. but i like the look of the warthog

the kimber is well its a kimber and im seeing nothing but great reviews
i think im gonna have to get my hands on them to make the final decision

soo does anyone have any advice or recomendations on other pistols
im looking for something in the warthog or ultra carry size

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
I say Kimber kicks Para's *** hands down, up and twice on Sunday - but I am heavily biased....LOL

JD

·
Registered
426 Posts
You may want to consider a S&W scandium commander...nice gun & features for the $$ and nice weight for CCW....if you can find one !

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You may want to consider a S&W scandium commander...nice gun & features for the $$ and nice weight for CCW....if you can find one !
it's a little bigger than what i was looking for

·
Registered
644 Posts
This might sound like heresy, but what about the Para Carry GAP or the Springfield EMP. I know the GAP is not a "real" .45, and the EMP is 9mm, but the guns are built even smaller than many standard micro-1911s.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts