1911 Disassembly

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Squawk, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Squawk

Squawk New Member

I have owned my 1911 for a little while now, but have never done anything more than field stripping to clean after a trip to the range. I read a sticky by canebrake on how to clean a 1911. But I have no idea how to detail strip a 1911 for a deep clean.

I don't want to mess up my gun. Besides a few idiot marks, it's in good shape and I'd like to keep it that way.

Any suggestions on videos or instructionals on how to disassemble for a deep clean?

2. gunny91

gunny91 New Member

I'm a gunsmith and there's a really good app if u have android its called " gun dissassembly " it has many different guns including the colt 1911 u can virtually dissassemble it it will help u out its helped me out a lot

Sent from my XT901 using Firearms Talk mobile app

3. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

YouTube is your friend. There are more videos on YouTube than you can count on this subject.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Here ya go. Look over on the right sidebar. The lower of the two is step by step w/ pictures. You will need a set of GOOD screwdrivers and some pin punches for a full "down to the bare frame" disassembly.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/pistol1911/index.asp

5. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I would add that printing out a 1911 exploded view will also be helpful, there are a bunch out there a Google search away.

6. Mercator

Mercator New Member

In case it is not mentioned elsewhere, your flathead screwdrivers should have hollow ground tips.

7. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Thanks for the info. Any recommendations on the actual screwdriver(s) and punches I will need?

8. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Grace is a well respected brand. I use Grace screwdrivers and punches. They come in several common sizes. You can get a set with everything, including a hammer or two.

Rule of thumb is, steel to steel, plastic to plastic. Meaning, you need a small steel hammer and steel punches for steel pins, but a plastic or rubber mallet for plastic pins. To avoid the idiot marks, if you absolutely need a tool, use a brass punch, it is softer than steel.

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Browning designed the 1911 to be able to be completely stripped using only parts of the gun. If there is not a full length guide rod or other unneeded parts.

A hollow ground screwdriver is a better start than a mag floor plate though.

10. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

You can also use a empty shell case flatten the open end and bam screwdriver.

11. Squawk

Squawk New Member

I'm ordering the Grace Gun Care set. Any recommendations for a bench block? My theory is buy once, cry once. I'd rather buy high quality, American made tools once.

I may not need a bench block. What should I lay my gun on as I hammer pins out? I know I used a roll of tape for my Glock, but my 1911 is SS and I want the finish to not get damaged.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  12. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Brownells or Midway USA

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...locks/extra-large-bench-blocks-prod24254.aspx

13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If you are willing to spend a couple of bucks, I would suggest getting one of the books from Kuhnhausen on the 1911. Volume 1 will meet your needs with pictures and a lot of "how to".

Then you will not need to look up youtube every time.

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'm looking for this app, but all I can find are games. Who's the developer?

15. gunny91

gunny91 New Member

Noble empire is the developer

Sent from my XT901 using Firearms Talk mobile app

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Thanks, it's downloading right now. By the way, there's a "gun dissassambly 2" out.

17. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Read the other day that four hours of video are posted on YouTube every minute. There goes my goal of viewing every video on YouTube.

18. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Most 1911 pins are a push fit.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIIT0Dv2JVA[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/4P4XJTKzKEU[/ame]

19. fupuk

fupuk New Member