1911 Customization

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by CharlieWhiskey261, May 22, 2012.

1. CharlieWhiskey261

CharlieWhiskey261 New Member

I think my favorite thing about the 1911, besides just the history, is how customized some are. I have been thinking about having laser engraving done or chrome plating and was wondering if anyone here had any awesome photos of their past or present 1911s with some cool work done.

Also has anyone here looked into chrome plating the slide of their 1911? I am kind of interested in this but was wondering how they keep the chrome from the inside of the slide and if they don't how this doesnt mess with the operations of the pistol..

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I'm going to start by asking what 1911 you plan on "customizing"
    Trust me- it'll make a huge difference on the answers you get-

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Chrome "flakes" (like nickel)

4. CharlieWhiskey261

CharlieWhiskey261 New Member

dan, i read that chrome does, unless you do "hard chrome" I've heard its actually one of the most durable things you can have done.

Also im looking to do this to my Taraus PT1911.. I know I know, its a Taraus and isn't worth it. Well its my first 1911 and is going to stay mine so I want to customize it.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Taurus?
    Go for it :p

6. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Its just IMO, but i dont think 1911s should be chromed. Stainless,yes but i think chrome makes them look cheap

7. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Same here go for it, now a nice colt I would have to think twice before cutting on it, just to make sure it was really what I wanted to do.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

There are different styles of "chrome".

But when someone sez "chrome" to me, I think of a '57 Chevy or a '68 Charger, not the "hard chrome".

Hey, it's your gun, do what you want. But if you may decide later to sell, remember that some buyers may not like your mods.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well, it wud make a nice Bar-B-Que gun :)

10. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Normal, bumper chrome? I'd agree.
    A nice hard chrome, done right? I'd have to disagree.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  11. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Or if you get a stainless Taurus, you can always have the gun bead blasted for a more satin finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

i agree. a bead blasted stainless is dead sexy. here is my national match service rifle with bead blasted stainless barrel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Laser engraving is the way to go. Find someone in your area, check out their work and go for it!

If it's good, it ain't cheap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Is that the hard chrome? It looks different than the chrome i was thinking about.

Looks good

15. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Yeah, but we all don't have badass nicknames to brand our guns with though... :(

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

You and I do. And considering mine is based off my issued SAW's serial... That'd be pretty cool.

17. Olympus

Olympus New Member

We do? :confused:

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

You don't think it would be cool to engrave "Olympus" on a gun? The name of the mountain that was home to the Greek gods?

19. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I agree, trip. Olympus is is one of the better names here. Winds-of-Change is pretty cool, too. JonM, on the other hand, is definitely a little vanilla. CHLChris is lame of all lameness and will never be engraved on any pistol of mine!

20. MrWray

MrWray New Member

What about MrWray? Thats just badass!!

Hahahaha