1911 Compensator

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by TwelveGageTaylor, Nov 11, 2013.

1. TwelveGageTaylor

TwelveGageTaylor New Member

Does the 1911 compensator actually reduce recoil? Jus curious, or is it a waste of money and an added weight to the gun? Any ideas

2. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

It will reduce the muzzle flip, making target reaquisition faster. It is a serious implement for open class competition, but not much anything else. You will hear more gun blast while shooting.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I never found much reduction in flip from the ones I've tried. .45 ACP is fairly low pressure compared to other rounds and there isn't quite as much gas pressure to make them really effective. They do add some forward weight, and some length that can make finding holsters that fit a pain unless using open ended holsters.

But you can watch and see if it looks like it makes enough difference for your needs.

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z323xCIjVOA"]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z323xCIjVOA[/ame]

4. TwelveGageTaylor

TwelveGageTaylor New Member

Theres like no difference in that video

5. GLI45

GLI45 New Member

I shoot Limited and Single Stack so I don't have any pistols with comps and I've never shot a 1911 with a comp. I have had the opportunity to shoot a couple of 2011 open guns with comps (.38 Super and a .40 S&W) and there is a difference. These were two of the flattest shooting pistols I've ever fired, but they were finely tuned with spring weights, ammunition loads, and the comps all working together. As mentioned in an earlier post I don't see the point unless you're planning on shooting in USPSA competition. If you decide to go with a comp have good ear protection because they are loud.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If you are looking at a caliber that can use the comp (like .38 Super), it works great.

I have not seen (or used) a comp for a .45ACP that works efficiently enough to be included in my safe.

7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

And if that's not enough, the comp is also a dirt trap, it will spread the hot fouling and become a b.... to clean if you care.