1911. Colt/SA/Para

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by DP03, Jan 14, 2014.

1. DP03

DP03 New Member

I'm going to my LGS tomorrow. Not sure what models yet, but he has the 3 brands listed above for me to look at. My price range will be somewhere between $900 and $1400. Looking for 45 in 4 1/2 or 5".

Are these 3 brands comparable in that price range? I've heard good about all 3, but would like to know if anyone has a preference one way or the other all other things being equal. This will be my first 1911. Thanks.

2. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

SA or Colt of those 3 for sure. Forget Para. $1,400 will get you a Dan Wesson which is better than any of them and I'm a Colt fanboy. $1,400 should get you a TRP if he has one and will get you a Colt XSE ($1,000) which may be my next 1911. Let us know what you get.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Personally not a fan of the Dan wessons.

Colt is the best of the ones you list second is Springfield para isn't even in the running in my book.

4. DP03

DP03 New Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I will let you know what he had/what I bought :)

5. aandabooks

aandabooks Active Member

I've owned all three. Currently own a Colt Gold Cup.

6. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Consider every pistol on its merits. In my experience, a quality Springfield will often undersell a comparable Colt. Both brands are stronger than Para. But you are not buying a brand, so keep your mind open.

Edit. Mine is a Springfield TRP, already mentioned above.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  7. DP03

DP03 New Member

The store owner said the Springfield outsells the other brands 4:1. But I don't know if that's because he receives more of them than the others, etc.

I will give the Colt a good look........

8. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Colt or Springfield. I'm partial Springfield.

9. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Colt

From the 3 choices I would lean towards the Colt depending on price.

Colt's are building some very nice 1911 pistols,last Fall I bought a Colt combat commander xse and a week later bought a Colt gold cup trophy.
    I'm very happy with both purchases.

SA builds some very nice pistols,also with a excellent warranty.

Para has been up and down through the years with QC.
    I purchased and still own a P14-45 manufactured in 93' which has been reliable and really accurate. I have been reading where Para has turned around their QC and currently building some nice 1911 pistols.

I highly recommend the Colt 1911s

10. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I would get a pony before any of your other choices,, but if you ever hit the jackpot, get a Nighthawk,,, my AAC is simply amazing. I got lucky,, my wife got me the piece for my birthday,, traded a high dollar trap gun she did not like to get it,, you could have knocked me over with a Kleenex.

11. DP03

DP03 New Member

Yea, I've drooled over the Nighthawk.........not in budget this time around. But someday......

12. DP03

DP03 New Member

Ok, so today I looked at the SA Range Officer, the SA Loaded, and the Sig Sauer 1911 (Extreme model, I think). I liked them all.......decisions, decisions......

Edit: The Sig was the Tac Ops model. Rail and night sites included.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  13. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Choose a pretend target in a safe direction. Cock the hammer. Engage the safety. Hold the pistol in low ready, then put it on target quickly. Note how clear and sharp the sight picture is. Also how the grip feels to your hand.

Take off safety. Note how hard or slack it is. Should be a light snap, no drag. Pull the trigger slowly. I often close my eyes to focus on the tactile senses. Note the resistance to pull, grinding, binding, or lack thereof.

About the SIG, consider the night sights and the rails a freebie. Unless you are LEO working strange hours, you don't need either. This of course is an opinion, but it is backed by experience.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  14. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Of those I would get the loaded model. The RO is maybe a little better but has target sights wich is fine if you are buying it strictly as a ranges gun. The Sig has an external extractor and I won't buy a 1911 with that. Just me but hate them on a 1911. I have a loaded with the parked finish and love it.

[​IMG]

15. DynoGuy

DynoGuy New Member

Why no love for the Para? I just got the Para 1911 Expert, this is my first 1911 (I had a Taurus PT99 and a Taurus Model 44). They're built here just outside of Charlotte, NC. I've only put 300 rnds thru it and getting use to the needed trigger control needed for proper shot placement, the gun groups fine just pushed left of poa. Here is the last outing (at the 15' line) with adjusting my grip & trigger finger placement. Still go out to a ranger and shoot a few different models to find the one that you like the best.

Attached Files:

16. DP03

DP03 New Member

Why do you think the RO is better, just out of curiosity? They had one of those as well.

Thanks again for the responses. Tomorrow will probably be the purchase.

17. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

This is better than a thousand words. Can't argue with success.

18. DP03

DP03 New Member

Well, thanks again gents for the advise......I'm zeroing in on the SA loaded or RO. They both seem similar with the major difference being the sights and the guide rod (standard on RO and 2 piece full length on the Loaded).

Sounds like either will make a nice choice.......

Edit: The specs also lists a "match grade" barrel for the RO, and not for the loaded. I'm not sure if that's a big deal or not?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  19. aandabooks

aandabooks Active Member

The Match barrel is nice but it really depends on what and how far you're shooting. If you're a 10 yards and in type of shooter that is happy tearing a jagged hole in the paper then you don't need the match barrel. If you're doing Bullseye type competitions or really like to stretch out your hanguns well beyond 25 yards then get the match barrel.

I've had the Loaded in SS and I really liked it. Has the sights that I like already on it. I won't buy another 1911 without fully adjustable sights. Sometimes I like to shoot 185gr SWC rounds and sometimes 230gr ball ammo. Each have a different POI and without the adjustable sights it becomes a Kentucky windage issue. I like my handguns to hit where I aim.

As to the Para, absolutely nothing wrong with them. They are a great mid-range 1911 and they make some models that rival the price of some Colts/Kimbers. Don't know if they are worth it at those price ranges but in the $600 level they are a solid buy.

20. DP03

DP03 New Member

Yea, the loaded comes exactly how I want it, at least for starters. The RO has only a one sided thumb safety, which I would need to change immediately (I'm left handed). But the LGS said they could add the ambidextrous safety for under $50, so that's not a big deal.

I have no plans to enter competition with this gun for now, so I'll ignore the match grade barrel I guess.