1911 cleaning question

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Navarre, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Navarre

Navarre New Member

I found a Colt Mark 80 stainless today. Internals looked good but the outside not so good. Lots of places where the finish was dull/discolored from having the gun in a holster. I really wanted to get it but was afraid that it wouldn't clean up. Is there something I can use that will clean the finish? Perhaps using a Dremmel with a buffer tool? Any advice would help.

Thanks,
    Navarre

2. lbarz

lbarz New Member

1911 refinish

Hello, I have a kimber eclipse custom II stainless that I used a dremel tool with jeweler ruge and polished it it turned out really nice, give it a try. email me at lbarz333@hotmail.com if you want to see a picture of it, Larry

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

One should never have a Dremel tool in the same building as a 1911!

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Cane speaks the truth! It's a gun not a piece of art and finish wear is normal. For bad areas a little hand polishing, I use Mother's mag polish, will work just fine...

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I think it Mothers, but someone makes a nano-polish that is AWESOME on aluminum, should work well on stainless as well.

6. rab

rab New Member

If I remmember

I think it's "Simachrome"

7. MrWray

MrWray New Member

You could cera coat it

8. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Don't dremmel a 1911!? listen to all mighty canebrake. These gentlemen are showing u other ways. People here are another reason why my 1911 SA loaded parkerized is so dang sexy and without fail after thousands of rounds now.