1911 carry

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by gunsmithmurphy89, Apr 28, 2012.

1. gunsmithmurphy89

gunsmithmurphy89 New Member

I have a full size 1911 that I want to carry but I have yet to find a holster that is comfortable yet effectively aids in the concealment process. Any ideas?

2. smoooth308

smoooth308 New Member

Raven Concealment makes some nice kydex holsters that might work for you. Should check them out

3. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I have a Desantis rig that works great with my 1911's For IWB I have a Gould 810 IWB rig that works great.;)

4. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Also use a desantis iwb. Will be buying a galco king tuk soon to try out.

5. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I carry in a DeSanits IWB, works fine, other than the beaver tail eating my side up. Will be buying a Galco King Tuk soon.

6. rifleshooter474

rifleshooter474 New Member

I would sure try carrying a 1911 for everyday carry in a cheap holster,before investing a lot of money in a better holster. Large handguns become very heavy and are not really going to feel good after a long day.;)

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

A good carry belt is a big part of the equation. I often carry my 1911. I have a no-name leather holster for it. Before I picked up a good carry belt I would have bruising on my hip by the end of the day. The belt made all the difference.

8. rifleshooter474

rifleshooter474 New Member

I agree with you here is my choice in a belt maker.:)
    http://raftersgunleather.com/Belts.htm

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

10. devildog24

devildog24 New Member

A good belt with a Don Hume slide might work. It does for me.

11. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Have you looked at Crossbreed's offerings?

12. Duck4Glocks

Duck4Glocks New Member

Crossbreed makes one of the best IWB holsters in my opinion. The horse hide works great against the skin. No rubbing and it forms very well to your hip. I am about 250 pounds and have some love handles, and i can wear my holster and gun all day and barley notice the holster after an hour or so of wearing it. The retention is very good and can be adjusted to your liking.

The one down side with any IWB leather holsters is when you wear boxers or briefs with a large seem on the hip side. I noticed the seem will dig into your thigh and rub just enough to irritate you.

13. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

http://theisholsters.com/products.php
    Great product, cheaper than Crossbreeds & he's a nice guy to deal with.
    I have one for my DW CCO. Just playing around, it worked fine with a full sized 1911. YMMV.

14. DallasShooter

DallasShooter New Member

I completely agree. I have two Theis holsters for a Bersa 380 and colt Defender. Great price, very comfortable and very easy to deal with.

15. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

Cane is also a huge fan of the Theis IWB holsters...
    I took his advice and recently picked one up (in horsehide) for my DW Guardian. He is absolutely right!
    Excellent holster. Most comfortable and concealable hosted that I own. I need to get the camera out and snap some pics of it since it is getting good and broken in now.

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

FS 1911 as a carry choice means only one answer, trust someone that has carried a FS steel for years.

I've tried them all and for shear comfort the Tommy Theis has my recommendation, but only only if hung on a quality gun belt.

Here's what I found to work best for me and my FS Colt.

Theis Concealed Carry Holster - Horsehide w/jclips (saves your belt & order a spare set because they don't last like the metal clips)

[​IMG]

www.theisholsters.com

A Jim Speidel (the beltman) 1 1/2" Dual-Layer Bullhide Belt. (A must for the FS 1911.)

bhbelt.jpg

The Beltman - 1 1/2" Belts

17. spack762

spack762 New Member

Ive used a shoulder holster to carry my Gov model. Plus it helps keep my pants up.

18. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

I carry a 5" 1911 in a IWB from Galco. All day, everyday and it is comfortable if, as Cane mentioned, you wear a proper gun belt to support it.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=4246&GunID=28

The link should get you there. I have a CrossBreed for my Sig P226 and find this to be more comfortable. Just my personal experience, YMMV.