1911, Canebrake, and a new business

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by porkchops, Jun 30, 2012.

1. porkchops

porkchops New Member

Canebrake, nobody's opinion on the 1911 hold more water than yours around here.

I see you opening a low tech business where people can send you their new 1911s for low tech reasons. Say like myself. I have no, none, zero time time to get my new Kimber out for the mandatory 500 round test.

I could send it to you, done and done. maybe you could Frog lube it while its there stuff like that.

What say you Cane, when can you start this new venture of yours?

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Hmmm.... not a bad idea at all.

3. jakebrake

jakebrake New Member

i see it ending poorly. cane would end up getting attached to every one, and just sending back a check to replace it, being unable to part with one....

and being bankrupted.

and i agree, cane knows enough about our beloved 1911s, that i wonder if his last name is browning.

4. fireguy

fireguy New Member

We tried that a few years ago. Somehow there was an unfortunate boating accident on the canal to Cane's place and all were lost. At least that is the official story.

5. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Easy guys. Some of the statements on this site about Canebreak border on hero worship or something close. I agree he is very knowledgeable about our beloved 1911s but it is a testament to this site that there should be other 1911 expert types on this site. Not a put down on his smarts as he blows my knowledge of these guns away. I invited him to my shoot and would love to pick his brain and get to know him but there are other opinions here and else where that are as valid as anything he or anybody else here says.

And porkchops if you can't find the time to shoot 500 rds You are either working to much or need to sell your gun. Plus I'm sure Cane has more to do than play with your guns. You can send them to me though. LOL

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

What makes you think I'd accept Kimbers? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Think what a scam it would be to only accept Colt's! That's a job even I could do with zero defects.

Why? Because should I have even a canebrake issue, (I'm really picky.) all I would do is send it back to Colt's and have it returned to the owner with no reason for me to check if the problem was fixed!! Yep, I'm that confident. Can you say that about your selection of 1911 mark?

I am an owner of a used Colt 1911. I have no idea how many owners proceeded me but what I am sure of is if the gun has a problem due to anything (before I purchased it I made sure there were NO Bubba changes made), I can return it to Colt's for warranty repair. Can you say that about your selection of 1911 mark?

I am flattered with this post but my knowledge with 1911s came with my experience with Colt's and the issues posted here on the FTF with many of the other marks. With this history, I'm sure that 100 years form now, ALL other 1911 manufacturers' will still be comparing their production guns to Colt's! I'll take all bets and hold the money!) :p

7. porkchops

porkchops New Member

Everybody say hello to the party pooper.

FYI, I have over time found I don't need to search out advice or information on anything 1911 from other than Cane.

As a person we should strive to be like Cane and as a pistol enthusiast, we should be considered lucky to know half of what Cane has learned over the years.

I don't consider it hero worship, I look at it as being smart enough to know good advice the first time. I learned those hard lessons from my dad as a kid. He was always right wasn't he? And I always wrong. And lessons learned then are now applied today. Canebrake is my 1911 final word. But that's just me. Frank

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would be willing to do that on the following conditions.
    Send it to me through an FFL (I will fax a copy of my FFL to him/her)
    Send 750 rounds of ammo (I need 250 to use in my 1911 as a comparison medium)
    I will take good care of your baby (as if it were my own. No cut that, as if it were yours).
    At the end of the 500 round break in, you pay shipment from me to your FFL.

(An old man told me once "If you do not make the time, you won't have the time")

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Thank you LK, my head was getting close to implosion! Every now and then everyone needs to be brought down a peg or two. Just ask Olympus when he called me on a SIG 1911 technical issue. Yep, I let my mouth (fingers on the keyboard) write a check my body could not cash.

I'm not here to be stroked. I am here to participate in knowledge transfer. I wouldn't want you guys/gals to spend the money on dumb things like I have in my storied past. When I suggest any 1911 item you can be sure ole canebrake has had some experience with the subject.

I expect, and willingly accept that there are members here that are far more knowledgeable than me on all firearms including the 1911. Let me tell you a little about hero worship. It is extremely easy to go from hero to zero in one small brain fart! The more you learn about any subject, the more you realize how much you don't know.

At this stage of life, I'm just happy to be alive and to share my experiences with you guys.

[​IMG]

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

+1 on that Cane.

I am learning more and more everyday. I have learned by making mistakes and by listening to others.

I have found that if I digest the info from others, I make fewer mistakes.
    If 8 out of 10 people say the same thing, then maybe there is some truth there.

(But I still have this personal thing against Series 80's)

11. wayno148

wayno148 New Member

I figured there be at least a small criticism about

12. wayno148

wayno148 New Member

Anything but colt............

13. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I've owned Kimbers before. I can't imagine outsourcing the break-in period! An owner needs that opportunity of 500 rounds to just get to know their new pistol. If you can't even take the time to break in your own gun, then you shouldn't be carrying a 1911. Just my opinion, though.

You gotta get to know your sidearm.

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Live and learn. When we stop learning, we stop living! It's the human condition and the better we do it, the higher quality of life we experience!

Dan, I'm not a big Series 80 fan but.....if I needed to continue down the Colt's ownership path; with mine being S80s and you cornering S70 ownership, I could live with it.

With that said, my EDC is the S70 Commander. ;)

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Wow---All i can say is----------Well--WOW :eek:

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Chris you hit the nail on its head!

I know several people that have and carry pistols that they have far less than 500 rounds experience with the gun. I need to trust my sidearm to depend on it and that only comes with intimate and continuous interaction.

We can outsource work, but we can not outsource experience. [​IMG]

17. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Agree, while i "dislike" the term 500rd break in i agree the Kimber needs all the "break in" it can get :D
    If you carry any handgun that you haven't fired at least 500 times I -------
    I just don't know what to say :confused:

18. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

My average practice session is around 500 rounds. So you can imagine the round count on any one of my carry guns. The majority of them through my 1911s through the years. Hell, I'd put 500 rounds through someones 1911 anytime. Sound like fun !!!!!!!!

Jim.

19. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

My grandpa always said," id ya aint learnin somthin new everyday ya might as well be dead".
    With that said, i enjoy the 1911 forom and am constantly learning something new. Its the knowledge that cane is not afraid to share that makes him stand out. For that i applaued him and will always listen ti what he has to say. There are others on here in diffent areas that i would also listen to and learn from. Olympus his grips are awesome and he seams to be very knowlegable to what he speaks, there for i will pay attention and hopefully learn more. There are many orhers on here that come up with good info, maybe not all the time but excellent none the less. I may not know as much as others on here, but to those who share the 100% true knowledge thank you.

20. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

$$$$$!!!!!!!

What about your thumbs? Do you have an elaborate way to load your mags? Ouch!