1911 build

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Ozz2g, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Ozz2g

Ozz2g New Member

Ok, so I built my own AR, and plan to build my wife one soon, but I have seen a few 1911 frames floating around at the gun shows here and there, and started thinking about building one. I am aware that it will ne more expensive, I just like to build things. Any ideas on where I might go to get a modest priced frame? Also, are there any vids that anyone could suggest that might help with the build?

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I see frames for sale on Gun Broker.

You can but every piece needed to build a 1911 from Brownells, don't have a clue how much it would cost. Brownells also has lots of gunsmithing videos you can watch for free.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

4. Olympus

Olympus New Member

This gets brought up a lot. If you want to "build" a 1911 and have no Gunsmithing experience, odds are that you'll end up with a bunch of money into a gun that will look half-assed and maybe not even shoot accurately.

1911s are in NO WAY similar to ARs when it comes to building. There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to 1911 parts. I highly advise against this.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Wat he said- 1911 building is NOT a hobby ----Trust me, i've dun a few :eek:

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree with Olympus on this subject. can it be done at home? yes. should it be done at home? depends an many different varibles. how much experiance do you have with the 1911 platform? do you possess the skills required to build one? do you own or have access to the tools and equipment to build a 1911?

several times i have thought about building my own 1911 from scratch, and have looked at it, weighed the pro's and con's, and have decided that by the time i bought all the parts, all the tools required to build one, i could have bought a couple of very nice, ready to shoot 1911's, without the hassle.

not trying to discourage you or talk you out of doing it, just pointing out the realities of building a 1911 pistol from scratch. as Olympus pointed out, the 1911 isn't like the AR, everything has to be fitted to operated as designed. there is a reason the the custom builders command the price they do for hand built 1911's. because they are hand built by people who have much experience in building them.

maybe a better option would be to look around at the gun shows, pawn shops or gun auctions and find a beater and build and customize it to your liking. or maybe look at the RIA or American Classic or the others and customize it to what suits you.

7. Axxe55

good to see you back HossFly! been missing you here lately.

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Thanx Axxe- Easin back in :eek:

9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Holy jumpin hoss flys........it lives!!!!!;)

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Not only that :p

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Yeah, the problem with building a 1911 is that most "drop in" parts......don't. They need hand fitting to get it right.

Now if you have machining experience, and you have access to tools, it's totally do able.

But if your home hobby kit consists of the usual screwdrivers, a hammer, and a Dremel, I would highly recommend against this as well.

Lots of good guns out there, both used and new, it great prices in this economy. ;)

JD

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Com'on now- All things are possible long as ya gots a dremel :rolleyes:

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

LMAO! I love you're spirit Hoss, you old dog you. :p

The Dremel is the greatest tool ever invented, if you ARE a gunsmith and waiting for home hobby kits to come in the door for "repair". :D

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

ABSULUTLY :p

15. Ozz2g

Ozz2g New Member

Thanx for the info... So I've seen the RIA 1911's, but are they any good? I was also looking at getting a Ruger 1911, but my friend says that after markets, such as a different trigger group, are hard to come by, and you have to stick with the Ruger brand. Is this true?

16. Ozz2g

Ozz2g New Member

I just picked up a Ruger LC9 for the wife, and now I want to upgrade from a Hi-point, and I really dig the 1911.

17. Axxe55

the RIA 1911's are very good pistols and are decently priced. as far as i know from what i have heard and read about them, they have the same interchangebility as most of the other 1911's. might need to research further to make sure. if i ever find the SR1911 at my LGS more available, i might have to get one. another good 1911 to check out is the Remington R1. very good 1911 and very accurate. i bought the R1 Enhanced several months ago and am very pleased with it.

18. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Absolutely not true. Your friend appears to be ignorant in terms of 1911s and I wouldn't be taking much if what he says as fact or even remotely close. No offense though.

1911s don't really have trigger "groups" per se. There is the trigger, sear, disconnector, and spring. All are individual parts and not a group. Are these parts difficult to come by? Absolutely not! Brownell's and MidwayUSA have more of them than you can believe. Aftermarket parts for the 1911 are a HUGE business. So much so that Brownell's dedicates a complete catalog just for 1911 parts. Do Ruger 1911s only use Ruger parts? Again, absolutely not! You can use any aftermarket 1911 part no matter who makes the gun, though most parts will require various amounts of fitting.

My advice, become a regular here and spend time reading and lurking around threads that interest you. You'll pick up much more knowledge here than by talking to your friend. Just my two cents...

19. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You should ALWAYS buy your first 1911.

Then spend a few years familiarizing yourself with the platform.

You need far less gunsmithing skillz to assemble an AR, you need mad gunsmithing skillz to build* a 1911. [​IMG]

* We assemble our 1911's every time we clean them.

20. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Nuff said ;)