1911 build question

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by truevil1313, Nov 18, 2011.

1. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

The 1911 Gods must be smiling on me. First I bought another Kimber this week, and now a long time friend of mine is giving me a complete Kimber slide.
    It is a sad story. He had a Kimber and put the .22 conversion kit on it and took his son to the range. They stopped for dinner on the way home, and while they were in the restraunt, someone broke into his car and stole several things, including his Kimber. It has been two years and the gun has never surfaced. So he is giving me his complete .45 slide.
    I do not know a lot about 1911's, I know more about AR's than 1911's, so my question is, speaking in AR terms, since he is giving a complete upper (slide), can I just put it on any lower (frame) on it and have it work properly? Does it have to be a Kimber frame, or would another frame work, and if so which frame do you all recomend?
    All I know right now is that it is a complete slide, with barrel, recoil spring, etc, and it is the 5 inch goverment length. I will pick it up today and see what model the Kimber was.
    Thanks for any help you guys can give me with this.

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Chances are good that it'll slide right on most any 1911 lower & work fine :cool:
    It mite take a little fitting tho- a few strokes with a stone or simialar :)

3. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Yup. What he said. ^^^^^ :cool:

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Doesn't Kimber have that grip safety that activates the firing pin plunger (ala "series 80", or "schwartz")?
    If so, you may have to remove that from the slide first.

5. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

Well, well, I guess it's a good day. I just found out a good friend of mine has a good friend at STI. Tomorrow he is going to give me a discounted price on a frame. Then he said he would fit the slide to the frame for me. Maybe this mutt gun will turn out pretty nice.
    I will keep you guys posted on what happens.

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Dam, you shud play the lottery :confused:

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Please keep us in the loop. This sounds good.

8. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

picked up the slide from my friend yesterday, and I am stoked. It turns out to be a series I Kimber Custom Shop, Super Target.
    I still have not heard back on the frame yet.
    I will keep you updated.

9. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

I made a mistake. It is a Kimber Super Match.

I just talked to my buddy's buddy today, and half of the STI story is true. I am getting an STI forged and checkered frame at a discount, but the guy will only fit STI slides to their frames. Oh well, It will take 6 weeks to get the frame in, so I guess I have time to find a gunsmith that will fit the slide.

I want to do the frame in a flat O.D. green. What should I do? Have it parkerized, or try the dura coat product? Any first hand knowledge of the two would be welcome. Other ideas are always welcome.

10. danf_fl

Duracoat or Alum-Hyde seem to work okay for me. The preparation for painting is very important for a lasting finish.

11. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

Here is the update.
    I ordered the STI forged and checkered frame. It should be here in 6 weeks or less.
    I ordered the Wilson Combat complete parts kit. It is currently backordered, so no telling when it will get here.
    I ordered a recoil spring from Wolf. Since the slide assembly was given to me and I have no idea of how many rounds have been through it, I decided to change the spring. As some of you may know, Wolf also sends the firing pin spring too, so I will change that as well.
    I also ordered the VZ Razor something grips in black canvas.

What I envision is keeping the slide black, the controls black, and having the frame OD green, with the black stocks.

Now it is waiting time for the frame and parts kit.

I will keep you all posted.

12. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

Here is the latest update. Plans had to change some.

The frame will be here in 5 more weeks.
    Changed the parts kit to stainless.
    The frame will be done in black teflon. The gunsmith sends out to do coatings, and he told me that UPS now makes firearms ship over night. The quote was $150 for shipping each way plus $125 for the coating. Thats $425 just to have the frame parkerized or hard chromed. Thats bull s4!t. The guy that does the black teflon is local, so the smith can just drop it off on his way home one day, so no shipping cost.

So the new plan is black slide and frame, with all stainless pins and controls, and the grips came in a sort of a blackish grey. I think it will look nice when it is all together. Oh and I added a stainless magwell, that will look sharp.

Now the sucky part is I am still waiting 5 more weeks for the frame, probably about the same for the parts, but once I get it all to the smith, he is back logged for about 10 weeks. So I am looking at about 4 months from now before this project will be complete. I know it will be worth the wait, but I am eager to get it completed and in my hands. I will post pics when it is all said and done.

13. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

STI billed my credit card today, so I guess my frame is on it's way.

14. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

The STI frame arrived today!
    Now just waiting on the Wilson parts kit, then off to the smith.

15. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

Still waiting on the parts kit. Brownells says it has been backordered since October. Called Wilson and all they can say is, "yep, it's still on backorder."
    The waiting continues.

16. 20VarTarg

20VarTarg New Member

Darn, and i was wondering where my luck went!!:D

17. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

I called Brownells yesterday to ask for an update on my part kit. It is still backordered, and they have no idea when it might come in.

I started looking around and just went through and ordered each individual part and spring. Brownells had all of the Ed Brown parts in stock so that is what I ordered. I have heard great things about the Ed Brown stuff, and I just recently was reading some poor reviews on the Wilson Combat parts. So I am feeling prety good about my decision, and it only cost me 8 dollars more.
    I'm happy.

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about either Ed Brown or Wilson parts?

18. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Ed Brown makes outstanding products, i have numerous upgrade parts in my 1911 and its all Ed Brown.

19. danf_fl

I use Ed Brown parts all the time.