1911 break-in period question

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Gojubrian, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

The Kimber manual says the pistol has a break-in period of 400-500rds of .45acp full metal jackets.
    At $35 per 100rds that's $175 plus range costs.

I was wondering, could you just load the magazine and rack the slide over and over then repeat til' you get the proper break-in period?

Maybe there is much more to it than this, but I thought the break-in period was to get the slide and frame fit properly fitted and worn to eachother?

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Where are you finding .45 ACP fmj for $35 per 100?

I believe barrel conditioning is part of 'break-in' but I may be wrong. I wanna know for sure as well. :)

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I happened upon them at wally world, bought them all up.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Goju, while your idea is inventive, it doesn't address the whole situation. Not only are you "breaking in" the action and making sure it will pull rounds out of a magazine and feed them correctly.

You are also adding some preliminary wear to the throat and to the lands and grooves of the barrel. During the manufacturing process on a production run gun, there can be microscopic burs and edges and divots on all surfaces, including a feed ramp.

Now personally, if this is a carry gun, you need to make sure it feeds and fires your self defense rounds. Feeding it all the range ammo, or ball ammo, in the world is not going to tell you a damn thing.

If you are not planning on carrying this for a self defense weapon, then you need to make sure it will feed the ammo you are going to shoot.

I have had three Kimbers. I still own (2) of them. I started carrying my Raptor II after one range session where I fired two boxes of my chosen self defense rounds with multiple magazines. The weapon put rounds in the black with zero failures of any function. I was that confident in the weapons' fit, function and performance.

I have never subscribed to this whole "Interwebz 1911 break in" period, but I look at a weapon in a much different light. If the damn thing doesn't feed, or can't hit the target, I am going to figure out why and MAKE it perform.

I have never had to do that with ANY 1911 I have ever purchased, and my current total is 7 from two manufacturers.

Your experience may vary, but I don't believe that you need to burn "X" amount of ammo through a weapon just to make the damn thing work right.

JD

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

+1 JD

Brake-in is subjective and depends on what you intend to do with the gun.

I tend to look at most of my guns as PD tools and could care less how many rounds are sent down range.

I start shooting different defensive ammo to find which works best. Once I find the brand I start counting. I will not carry the 'tool' until I have 200 rounds fired with zero issues.

Is this expensive? Yes, but I deserve it!

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

And you are worth it. Do you use Pantene? :p

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

J.D.,

That's very insightful, thanks! :cool:

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The only one I ever owned that really needed a break in was my Dan Wesson Pointman. It was just way to tight out of the box and needed about 500 rounds to wear in properly...

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

The only changes I saw in my Kimber as I shot it more were little things....slide release wasn't a stiff, mag springs loosened a little, things you would expect. The pistol was always accurate, always fired and was always a pleasure to shoot. My Kimber will eat HSTs as fast as I can pull the trigger.
    Go shoot the thing and have fun!

10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Spitty nailed this one. Nothing wrong with questions but at some point just buy one and shoot the hell out of it...

11. Wambli

Wambli Member

Every pistol I buy I run 2 50 round boxes of FMJ and two boxes of my favorite SD ammo through. If it runs at 100% then I clean and carry it. If I get 1-2 FTF I take note and do a full 500 round break in. If after that it still is not 100% reliable with EVERYTHING I feed it I make an assesment whether I care enough about it to fix it or off it goes to greener pastures...

12. Destroyer219

Destroyer219 New Member

If you are going to use it for SD, I'd strongly recommend breaking-in with HP.....my Kimber was going fine with FMJs until I used Sabre, which had couple jams....

13. Rodmaker

Rodmaker New Member

I believe you will know when the gun is right for carry. Each gun is different and some will require more rounds down the pipe than others. I say that because I have an STI Ranger II that required about 600 rounds before I felt confident enough to carry it and I have a Kimber TAC II Pro that after 100 rounds I felt I could carry it. I also have an Ultra Raptor II that it took 800 rounds. I was about ready to get rid of it but gave it one last trip to the range. Had it failed at all on the last trip to the range it would have be gone, but I went through 200 rounds that day without any failures. And it hasn't failed since, it is my first choice to carry.
    Just buy some ammo and enjoy shooting it. :D

14. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

This is coming from a die hard Kimber fanatic, so take it for what it's worth. That pistol absolutely has to have a number of rounds run through it. It makes a world of difference on the whole action of the pistol. The trigger break lowers and becomes more crisp, the slide release becomes more crisp and has a lower breaking point to it, and it also helps set the springs which adds to the overall crispness of the entire action.

The break in period is claimed to be 500 rds. by Kimber, but mine took 2 weekends on the range which was about 300 rds. Definitely burn those rounds as it will make a big difference in the action. It'll also familiarize you with the handling of the pistol and build confidence between the 2 of you.

Confidence is paramount when lives are at stake. Familiarity is foremost when punching paper.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010