1911 Break In Diagnostic

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Hightide, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Hightide

Hightide New Member

Need some diagnostic advice! I just picked up a 1911. I am not a "1911 guy". I usually shoot revolvers and a Glock. However, I thought a 1911 would be a fun change. Not being able to locate a new Colt, I picked up the Remington R1. The reviews were good and I liked the classic base look. And I was intrigued by a Remington handgun.

The weapon has excellent fit and finish, all parts smooth and well fitting. Not even a rattle when shaken. I shoot it well also, which is a big plus. Very happy with it...with the exception of a failure to feed problem. Keep in mind, the pistol is new, and I only have 200 rounds thru it, of two different types of range ammo. However, I am shocked the failure rate which is running at 4%-5%. The actual issue is a failure to go completely into the chamber. The round feeds, but only goes in part way and the slide jams. :confused:

Is this common with a 1911 during break in period? Anyone else with an R1 have this issue out of the gate? Perhaps this is normal, but as a shooter of revolvers and Glock, I am used to 0% failure. Next I'll try a third and fourth brand of ammo, but frankly, I usually find that a good gun will eat any commonly marketed ammo, range, target or defense.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

first thing i would try is different ammo.

3. 1911aone

1911aone New Member

Make sure you are using quality magazines. Sometimes the mags that come with 1911s are crap. Your chamber may need to be polished. This can be done with a dremel tool, felt polishing tips and some flitz metal polish. Also have your extractor tension checked. Fine tuning isn't too common on production 1911s like it is on custom guns. Believe me when I tell you that you're in for an education with a 1911. It's a 100 year old design and the extractor is a very critical part of this gun.

4. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

Mine ran wonderfully with all the ammo I made for it, I never shot factory rounds so...

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It's the magazines. The mags that came with my R1 were junk, not worthy for even range use. Feed issues abound.

There's an app for that;

Call Aaron @ Tripp Research (877.837.9445) and tell him you want to take the canebrake mag test. Order one Gen II Cobra mag (I suggest an 8R-45-RG in SS or Black) and see if it doesn't fix your feed issue. I'm so sure of this fix that if you're not happy with the quality of the Tripp, I'll buy it from you for what you paid plus shipping to me. Yep, they are that good!

My guess is that you will be calling Aaron to order more Cobra Mags!

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Besides the mag issue, what ammo have you used.

There is some inexpensive stuff on the shelves at WallyWorld.
    Steel casings that have been painted.

When the gun gets warm from shooting, some of the paint gets soft and clings to the inside of the chamber.

For the time that break-in is going on, try to get the best ammo you can. Don't use +P.

Was the gun in a box or used as a display piece? Allowing the slide to slam forward without chambering a round is a 1911 no-no. And if it were a display piece, then I would bet money that it happened a couple of times.

Another suggestion is to get another recoil spring rated #16-#18. The stuff they put in at the factory may or may not last long.

7. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

No break-in is required by an R1.
    That being said my Remington mags are just fine. In fact I bought a spare one (Remington) from Midway and it also works fine.
    Contact Remington for a free shipping label and send it back. They should be able to fix the problem.
    By the way,are you using recommended ammo as described in the owners manual? I ran 230gr Rem hardball thru mine until the warranty expired. Since then I have tried 185 JHP and have no problems with the ammo or mags.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  8. twobilly

twobilly New Member

I have a couple of Colt 1911s and they are also have feeding problems from time to time and usually switching out the magazine will take care of the problem

9. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Painted ammo, a 1911 that never failed.

Its getting deep in here.

The 1911 platform is the single pickiest pistol platform out there. I've seen them all fail. From Rock Islands to Nighthawk customs, they can, AND WILL, fail.

75% of all 1911 troubles come down to mag problems. As cane said, the Tripps are great mags, and the Wilson 47D.

The remainder of issues are caused by improper extractor tension, improper grip, and old springs

10. 1911aone

1911aone New Member

Also make sure your feed ramp is polished smooth. I picked up an R1 at academy sports and the feed ramp was black with crud and tarnish. The feed ramp should always be shiny and polished smooth. There are things in 1911s you can't see or feel that can make it drag and affect reliability such as burrs and tool marks so polishing the feed ramp, chamber, and even the slide and frame rails can make it feel smoother. Also make sure it's properly lubricated.

11. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Feed ramps do not need a mirror finish to work right. Smooth enough is fine. If he gets to screwing around in there with a Dremel, he will void his warranty for no good reason. For the love of god, keep the damn Dremel out of the chamber. If there are huge burrs or horrendous tool marks, the gun needs to go back to Remington.
    FTF issues are typically either Mag or ammo related.
    Worth noting, the Magazines need to be cleaned out now & again. If the follower is bound up by crud, things will get spotty.
    FWIW, it's not a Baer (or a Kimber :rolleyes:), break-in is pretty much moot. A gun like a Remington should simply work out of the box after a proper clean & lube

12. danf_fl

Don't tell my old Springfield that.
    It thinks it can eat everything (even 200gr semi wad cutters that has bullet lube left on the case).

That parkerized feed ramp has been worn smooth with over 15,000 rounds through it.

13. Tidalforce79

Tidalforce79 New Member

Eh.....I think the picky nature of 1911s is over stated......you just have to pick the right one. The XD i used to own was more ammo picky then all but 1 of the 1911s I have owned. It is true, that the tighter fitting 1911s may be more prone to jamming then the looser fit ones and they are perhaps a tad more picky about magazines. My Colt series 70, Wilson, American Classic, my brothers Brown(with the exception of LSWC), my gun dealer's Les Baer and Wilsons, my friend's STI, my dad's Colt Delta Elite .....all fired 100% right out of the box.

14. danf_fl

It's been said that there are no secrets about the 1911, only mysteries.

15. zx9rt1

zx9rt1 New Member

Keep it lubed. Use FMJ ammo for the first several 100 rounds or so. No limp wristing, good tight hold. She will settle down. I have 2 R 1's and after e few range sessions both are 100%. It will be fine.

16. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Do Not Alter the Firearm.
    Although there MAY be something wrong with the firearm, try this first.
    Any mod's, including polishing the feed ramp, may make working with the Mfg more difficult if needed.

1. As noted above: Try several types of ammo.
    2. Work with someone very familiar with the 1911 design. Swap Mag's and ammo.
    3. Try Cane's Tripp Mag's.
    4. Work with the Mfg.

17. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Wow! My two Springers, two Para Ords, and even a PT1911 have yet to have any problem eating ammo. In fact none of them have ever had an issue. I did have a RIA that was a little picky with HP ammo when it was new bu ta little polishing on the feed ramp and that stopped too. There may be some that can be a little finicky, I found this to be more apparent with target models that are fitted tighter than a standard combat made 1911 bit I have not seen too much of an issue with any mil spec model 1911.

I think the finicky thing with 1911's belongs with the stories of Glock Leg. Sure it happens but it's more the exception, not the rule.

18. 1911aone

1911aone New Member

There are videos on YouTube if you're not sure how to use the dremel when polishing ur feed ramp. If you're not comfortable doing it then don't, but it isn't brain surgery either

19. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Or just buy a reliable 1911.

20. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

So are your implying that there is something wrong with the Remington R1 that much of the gun owning world is unaware of?
    Which then begs the question: What 1911 do you recommend?