1911 Blasphemies

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Gojubrian, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

How many have them? How many like them? :D

External extractors, LDA triggers, rails, bobtails, ..what else?

2. freefall

freefall New Member

I would like a bobtail on my Kimber Compact.

3. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I remember loving my Glock because of the tacticool rail. But when I sold my Glock to buy my first 1911 (SA Loaded Gov't) I never even considered a frame with a rail. That just seems wrong on a 1911.

I'd love a bobtail, though. That actually seems like an improvement that isn't a blasphemy, IMO.

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I have considered putting a rail on one of my 1911's.

5. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Full size frame, bobtailed with a commander length slide in 45auto or maybe 10mm. Don't have one, but I'd love to have one as a carry gun.
    Tactical rail. Meh.
    Would be nice on a dedicated nightstand gun(full size) but not really my cup of tea, esp. for carry

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I've had a couple of S&W 1911 with external extractors and they are great guns. I've also had 3 Para guns with the LDA triggers and I just could never get used to them. Never had, nor do I really want, a 1911 with a rail...

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

My Kimber has the external extractor and I have no problems with it at all. LDA on a 1911 seems pointless, isn't the SA trigger of the 1911 one of it's greatest features? I also think 1911's with rails are a bit on the ghey side. I would love my Kimber with a bobtail for CC but full length grip for range use. I'm also a fan of a more modest bob then some.

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

No rail fans I guess??

I like the rail and I like the bobtail. I also like the 1911 in other calibers. :cool:

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

What a wacko!!!:p

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Have a compact Para Carry 7 with the LDA system. While I have shot standard 1911A1s for some years, have also been a long time DA revolver fan, so getting used to the LDA trigger came quickly for me.

Basically, it is a lot of .45 in a very small package. Not much bigger than a Chief's Special.
    first truck para 042.jpg

11. hnealg

hnealg New Member

Bobtails and/or external extractors? OK, no real opinion
    Rails? Have one on a Taurus 24/7 .45ACP that I keep bedside (with light & laser), my 1911-never!
    LDA-redundant and unnecessary

12. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Not a surprise coming from a Glock fan-boy.:eek::D:eek:

13. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Why not have a rail? You just might want to use it? :)

14. Jay

Jay New Member

Somehow, just looking at an original 1911, convinces me that the design of Mr. Browning needs no modification by me..... functionally, or cosmetically...... but, that's just me.

15. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Good thing we don't have the same mindset about cars, or tv's, or......;)

:D

16. Jay

Jay New Member

Cars, and TV's and many other things NEED to be improved..... the 1911 did not. That's why it's had the length of service, and popularity that it has. But then, most folks already know that. :rolleyes:

I don't care for a rail on any firearm..... especially a 1911.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  17. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Just poking at you. :eek:

It's all just personal preference. I suppose if I had one in the service for any length of time I wouldn't be too happy to see all the new fandangle stuff going on with it.

18. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I have rails on some other pistols and like them. I know very well the pros and cons of keeping a light on the rail, but choose to do so for my HD pistol. Having one hand free if needed, but still a viable light source, is a tremendous benefit for HD IMO.

Additionally, the added weight of the rail (or a full length dust cover like the STI offers, or the heavy coned barrel of the Wilson & NH) makes for a very soft shooting 1911.

19. Jay

Jay New Member

I know you were poking a bit, and that's fine. I've said for over 30 years that most everything relative to firearms is personal preference. I also think that age has a lot to do with what some folks like. I'm 63 in a few days, and I resist the hell out of change..... even when the digital clock changes........ see, digital clocks changed because some folks had a tough time with the analog version .... ;) but anybody can handle an original 1911.........

...and like that........ :D

20. Tazisland

Tazisland New Member

Don't really see the issue with external extractors but don't like the look of the rail on a 1911. This coming from someone that ONLY has Sig 1911s so my opinion may not count :eek: