1911 beaver tail safety

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by KY1911, Mar 15, 2012.

1. KY1911

KY1911 New Member

I'm curious...is this safety supposed to have any side to side play?

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

No it isnt supposed to have very much wiggle room, that said some of your cheaper ones like taurus and rock river does have some wiggle. Whats it in?

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

3. KY1911

KY1911 New Member

Its in a kimber, the one pictured as my avatar. I polished it out a while ago but didn't think I would've taken that much to make it that way. Doesn't affect much..I just know its there. Should I upgrade it?

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Buy some moleskin and put a THIN strip around the rim of the safety between the safety holding rim and the frame of the pistol. It should solve the problem. Its cheaper works just as well most times as upgrading.

5. KY1911

KY1911 New Member

Thanks...I'll look into it! You're right, I just looked and what I'd want is just over a good bill.

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya it usually is. Cuz moleskin is usually just a couple $ for like a 5"x3" sheet.

7. KY1911

KY1911 New Member

Idk...I may try it. Not sure I want to "band-aid" it like that. It's really not hurting anything it just wiggles but then again I don't go around shaking it side to side waving it around ;-)
    It's more of a ocd thing I guess! I admitted it haha

But after mentioning I went and seen Wilson's concealment type and I do believe that it would be sweet on it.. just saying

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Your choice mon ami. I have all wilson or dan wesson aftermarjet parts in my Colt GCS. Only things that arent is my grips and my trijicon phospherous coated night sites

9. KY1911

KY1911 New Member

I'll probably try something like it for the time being until the cash fairy drops by..know what I mean! I imagine it'll take quite a few $ to finish it out. Should've done that instead of adding those grips...hell I don't ever use em honestly! It already has the night sights anyway...those are good enough

I plan on eventually replacing a lot of them myself when the time is right, she'll still shoot good until then.

10. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

I have the kimber grand raptor 2 and the custom aegis 2 and they both have a slight sideways movement in the bottom of the grip safety. Doesn't bother me at all. They work perfectly. I am curious about it though

11. KY1911

KY1911 New Member

Yeah? Mines am ultra tle II and yeah I believe its been there since I had it but I polished it out so I know I removed the coating and lil material to get a good finish. It doesn't hurt function, it just develops little marks on edges after shooting several rounds but after cleaning it can be remedied easily.

Im just particular I reckon lol

12. HAGEN442

HAGEN442 New Member

1911 Rattle

Morning
    My 2 Cents
    A little rattle in a 1911 is usually a Indication of a "Well Worn" gun.
    All of my US Issue Guns Rattle like a Diesel Engine , but Run loike a Sewing
    Machine.
    That beind said: It appears you have a Late Model Gun.
    Personally I would rather have a Grip Safety with plenty of movement
    than a tight Safety.
    Forget the Mole Skin.
    Sounds as if you have enough concern to schedule a Visit to 1911
    Gunsmith.
    Hagen

13. KY1911

KY1911 New Member

Well shake any of them and like you said, they're going to rattle...its the magazine. Don't think I need a gunsmith, unless I decide to have it refinished/plated. That's a long ways off... for now I can deal with it, she runs fine and like I always learned from a young age... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;-)

14. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

I've got a kimber custom tactical II using chip mccormack shooting star mags, i've put a couple thousand rounds through it and she's still completely silent. But every other 1911 i've owned rattled at least a little, never seemed to hurt anything.