1911 and hollow points

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by gunsavy, Feb 27, 2010.

1. gunsavy

gunsavy New Member

Well bought my first 1911 I have only shot about 100 rounds through it but notice hps don't feed well and thats just chambering a round. I have been reading all day about this and now know it not just or the type I bought (Taurus) I'm considering polishing the feed ramp fmjs feed great as well as corbon pwr ball but I don't want to tied to one type of ammo. And are fmjs really that bad . Any sugg thanks

2. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

honestly you don't need hollow points in a .45. I run fmj through mine. You don't need expansion with a bullit that size like you do with other smaller calibers.

3. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Have you tried more than one type of HP ammo? I have a few different 1911's around here and some like one brand more than another. My Taurus does not like Cor Bon ammo at all while my Springfield loves it. My Para LTC is not a fan of Hydro Shok ammo. Some weapons just seem to like one type over another.

Polishing the feed ramp helps a lot of the time (I've done it to most mine) but I always like to get a few different types of ammo to see how it will like brand X over brand Y

4. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

Also be carefull when polishing the ramp. Don't take off material, change the angle of the ramp, or round off the top of the ramp. This could be hazardous to you health.

5. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Try different magazines. My 1911 will feed anything now that I bought some quality mags.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

+1

I used a jewelers rouge on a soft cloth and wrapped it around a pencil. That way I could rub in the direction the round travels. I hear of people using a Dremel or the like and I wont say that's bad. But you have to be pretty careful when doing things like that.

Oh..and the mag post is a good idea. Some have had troubles with the mags that come with a PT1911

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

A Dremel tool around ANY firearm is a BAD IDEA unless you are a qualified gunsmith. You risk damage to your firearm and, more importantly, damage to YOURSELF or others around you!

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

If your 1911 isn't feeding hollowpoints then the first thing to try is a couple of new magazines, from different makers, BEFORE you do ANY modifications to the weapon.

I have yet to see a 1911, even a "interwebz diagnosed problematic" Taurus ( I don't believe that title ), that can't feed multiple ammo types and makes without issue. Now, occassionally you might get a bad factory mag, or a mag that does not give you the angle you need to slide up the ramp and into the chamber.

The first step is to try a couple of easy fixes, like different ammo and different magazines even before you take it to a gunsmith who can diagnose what might, or might not, be wrong with your new weapon.

Best of luck, but personally I would try a couple of new Wilson 47D's, Chip McCormick's, Tripps or other quality aftermarket magazines before you go attacking the feed ramp.

JD

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Welcome to the FTF community. Different mags and a little discreet polishing of the feedramp will work wonders. Just remember, it's called polishing the feedramp for a reason. Fine rubbing compound and a cloth will do it. Do not go near the pistol with a power tool or file or even emory cloth.

10. gunsavy

gunsavy New Member

I wouldnt dare try it myself I know my mechanical limits

11. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

So you don't like making a bigger hole if you can? My HST's expand to .996" (that's the largest I've personally measured)....just saying.

I'm going to support trying some new mags first. I hate to hear you're having some feed issues but take it one step at a time and you'll get it worked out.

12. Shooter girl

Shooter girl New Member

I would tend to disagree with this.

Averages.

.45 ball 11.2mm

9mm HST 15.8mm with the largest of the test at 19.4mm

.45 HST 19.3mm with the largest of the test at 24.4mm

Yeah, YMMV

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

i disagree also. while FMJ is my bullet of choice when im out hunting pigs in south texas due to needed extra penetration of pig meat as a backup weapon. hollow points are what i use for home defense.

i use 230grn speer or hydrashok whichever is available when it comes time to rebuy my defense rounds. ( i shoot the old ones atthe begining of each year and buy fresh ones. ) 230grn is 230grn whether it expands or not the extra oomph a HP round can give by making a bigger bleed channel cannot be forsaken worse case you got a .45 hole best case you got a MUCH bigger one. with FMJ you only get .45

my springfield 1911-A1 will chamber everything from full wadcutters to 230grn FMJ i havent found a bullet yet it wont run.

14. gunsavy

gunsavy New Member

I was always under the impression you weren't suppose to use fmj to carry although I do wonder when stocking up on ammo do u spend all ur money on defensive or whatever you can get, I would think whatever you can get.

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

For practice ammo, I buy whatever is cheap and available.

For my personal defense ammo, I buy several boxes ( 6 to 10 whatever I can find and afford ) from the same lot, same time of manufacture. I shoot 2 or 3 boxes of it for function and reliability, then store the rest in loaded mags in or near the weapon and a box or two in the safe.

16. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

Ok obviously putting a big hole is a whole lot of fun. I actually used Cor Bon Dpx solid copper hollow points when I am hunting. Not because of expansion, though I agree it has much better killing power, as much as velocity. I use this because it will shoot a 45 over 1000fps. Now I use a 460 rowland that shoots 45 at 1400fps. This makes a whole lot of sense to me for hunting. However when I am practice or load for defense I use the fmj. Granted your hollowpoints will undoubtalbe will do more damage than your fmj. But this is the whole point. I want to effectivley stop an attacker, though I might kill him in the process. I am not trying flat out kill him. Fmj does plenty of damage because it is a big slow moving bullit. Unlike a 9mm. I would use a hollow point in a 9mm because not only is it a smaller caliber, but it has much higher velocity. If you don't use a hollow point you risk shooting clean threw the attacker and not effectively stopping him. This is not the case of a 45.

17. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

UM, bubba, hold my beer for a sec.

I do plan on killing my attacker if the situation calls for it. Im no blood thirst sociopath, but dead badguy is the end result.

As for HP vs FMJ. how many times have you seen a starndard factory 9mm fmj run through 12" of meat? this isnt going to happen regularly in 9mm, 40, 45.......Maybe 357, 10mm, 44......

Youd be an idiot not to carry a HP load designed for maximum expansion and energy transfer.:eek:

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You guy's do understand the OP has a FTF issue, not a why use HP's!

Slow down Buckaroo! Don't start modifying a "new" gun with only 100 rounds down the pipe!

Is your issue FTF while stripping the first round after reload?

If this is the case are you seating the rounds after loading the mag? I tap the back of the mag against my weak side palm after loading to seat the rounds flat and uniform to the mag.

If your issue is FTF with rounds other than the first, be sure you're still slapping the mag but my guess is that you should run several hundred more Hardball through her for some additional break-in.

If it continues to FTF, get yourself a couple of premium mags (Tripp Gen II Cobra are THE best!) and that should clear up your problem. (Or just go out and buy a Colt!)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  19. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

hate to burst your bubble but a 9mm fmj and a 40 fmj will shoot threw a person and still be lethal.