1911 9mm?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by DrJason, Oct 19, 2009.

1. DrJason

DrJason New Member

Ok, I might get flamed for this but here it goes.....I really enjoyed the feel of the 1911 however the cost of ammo makes me rethink getting the 1911 ...... so, I noticed there are a few manufacturers that make 9mm 1911's.....what are peoples thoughts and impressions of these guns? and any suggestions on models to look at?

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I've owned a 9mm 1911 and it was a lot of fun to shoot. The real problem is all of the models you'll find in 9mm are very pricey. About the cheapest I've seen is a Para LTC (single stack) which is in the $700-800 price range - when you can find them...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009

3. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Kimber makes a few of its models in 9mm. They run the same price as the .45 ACP model.

4. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

Taurus 1911B-9

Taurus makes a 1911 in 9mm (TAURUS 1911B-9), should be in the same price range of their .45s
    [​IMG]
    More info
    CLICK HERE

5. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

There are some pretty cool looking 9mm 1911 options out there. It just seems that for the price range you'd land in, a Sig 226/229 or Browning Hi-Power would be a more viable option for most people. And in most cases those two guns would also cost a bit less than the 1911.

That's my feeling anyway. If I'm gonna jump into spendy piece like a 1911, I'm gonna jump in with both feet and get the 45acp. I've seen Federal Champion .45 ball for around $16 per 50 at Walmart, and HP rounds are only $5-10/box more than their 9mm counterparts.

Get whatever you'll be content with. However if you want a 1911 but would prefer a 9mm, the BHP is something you should definitely take a hard look at. And for style and slimmer feel, there are also some nice CZ options worth looking into as well...they can be had in the $400-700 range, but won't be the SAO that the BHP is.

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The Taurus 9mm 1911 is the ultimate in vaporware - they don't exist...

7. DrJason

DrJason New Member

Thanks for the responses so far....any thoughts on Springfield Armory guns?

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I have a couple of them and I like them. For 9mm you'd have to go with the EMP - which is costly...

9. DrJason

DrJason New Member

I saw that one.....I was looking at their catalog and thought there was one of the full sized "loaded" 1911 9mm's.....unless it's again one of those "vaporware" guns

10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

They make a full size Loaded in 9mm but finding one is the challenge. Keep an eye on Gunbroker and one may show up...

11. Grey

Grey New Member

Just get a .45ACP and a .22 conversion kit...

12. Dadoo

Dadoo New Member

Beat that dead horse :)

OK, I'll beat this horse again. Rock Island Armory makes a 1911 in .45acp, 9mm and .38 super :)

13. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Do you have a source (here in the US) for the RIA in 9mm? I know Armscor makes them but I'm not sure they're imported. For a time, Armscor itself imported & sold a 9mm double-stack - I had one. I've never seen an RIA 9mm single-stack 1911 for sale anywhere.

From the m1911.org forum (took about 2 minutes to find this):

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=73320

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  14. Highpower

Highpower New Member

I have a Star Model B that I shoot from time to time. Nothing spectacular about it - but it works. Not a very expensive gun however, being a Spanish copy of a 1911. My particular gun prefers heavier (124gr) bullets. I don't know if that is a common trait among the Star guns though.

For what it's worth... :eek:

15. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

NGIB, this time Armscor is being sold under the name of CITADEL (the same old importer: Legacy International Firearms), but just only in .45ACP (as far I know).
    Bud's sold them at good price ($482 S&H included)
    Just FYI. :p

16. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

Hi Doc, I've had real good luck with my SA, around 3k thru it with zero problems. Pretty darn accurate too!

[​IMG]

17. DrJason

DrJason New Member

I assume SA is Springfield Armory.....I was at my local gun shop and saw a Springfield 1911 9mm for $850 and a S&W 1911 9mm for $1250 (only $100 more than the same in .45).....was strongly considering the Springfield but thought I'd come on here and do some research first before "pulling the trigger" and buying something.......do those prices sound reasonable?

18. Nomad 1

Nomad 1 New Member

1911 9mm

I have a Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded model (5 inch barrel, SS) in 9mm. I have had it for about 6 months. It shoots very well and I am quite satified. It turned out to be the ideal pistol for me.

Yes, they are hard to find. If you have a working relationship with a gun shop they can search the distribution channel. If not, hit GunBroker and keep looking.

My wife was looking at the EMP. Much higher in price but she likes the balance better because of the shorter barrel. The grip dimensions suit her as well. She likes this better than the comparable Kimber. It too is hard to find. The price and an increased felt recoil over the Loaded model is causing her some concern. No decision yet.

After looking at every 9mm in the gunshop her second favorite was the Browning Highpower in a target configurtion. (apologies for the heresy on the 1911 forum) It is a nice pistol too.

I guess were are both old school. Neither of us like the polymer guns.

Good luck.

Good luck.

19. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

If you can afford a 1911 than you can afford some .45 :p Like my girlfriend tells me go big or go home,, even she wants a .45 Kimber eclipse and shes 110lbs

20. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

I had a Springfield 9mm 1911, it was the full size "Loaded" model. I bought it new off of Gunbroker for about $825. I think it was the worst gun purchase I ever made. The gun was a hopeless mechanical mess. Return trips to Springfield Armory for work served no purpose other than help Fed Ex make money. Finally I gave up on Springfield service and sent the gun to Wilson Combat and paid out of pocket to get the gun to run. I know most people love their Springers and have no problems,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but I'll never own another one.