1911 45 Compensator Question

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by HOSSFLY, Dec 21, 2011.

1. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Long story short-
    My beloved 70 series 1911 45acp is the ONLY handgun I own I cannot shoot without ear protection (please dont - I know) its just got that perfect certain "pitch" or "blast" that REALLY hurts my left ear :(
    Question is will a compensator or muzzel brake or watever you want to call it change that "pitch, blast ect" ? I have a 1911 9mm basicly identical & have no problem, other handguns no problems :confused: I'm looking at one like in the pic below - Its just my "fun gun" so i thought i'd "spiff" her up a bit anyway so i thought a compensator, magwell & new grips but really concerned with changing the direction of sound away from my left ear- its no doubt making me flinch :eek:

[​IMG]

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

It will definitely change the sound of the gun...problem is, it usually makes it louder! If you think it's just that particular "pitch" as you put it, the compensator may actually help you, as it will change many aspects of the sound.

Sounds like you already know that most of us would recommend hearing pro, so I'll leave that alone, no need to preach to the choir.

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Thanks Trip - I'm certain its the "pitch" - I've never had a problem with any other gun's lever of loudness - Most of the time "plinking" its with my wife & we have & use good ear protection but at times I just want to shoot & at times I'm someplace that I just dont have it - This particualar gun just hurts my left ear only :confused:
    But hey, its a reason to change it up some anyway :D
    My 1911 9mm carry & main "go to" bothers me not- Just one of those freekish things i guess :rolleyes:
    Thanks again :)

4. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Trip's right about it increasing how loud it is. I did a little research on why that is and what I've found indicates that, because the gases are escaping at different angles caused by the compensator the preassure of the sound is greater. This is, because the gases are escaping "closer" to the shooter.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Thanks, I ordered one-
    Figure it will do the job - Just any diversion of the noise should do the job :cool:

6. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

What company are you ordering it from I've been considering buying one to put my PT1911.

play the victim, be the victim

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

8. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

Thanks buddy, please let me know what you think of the fit and finish of it, when u put it on, if you don't mind. I am really looking to buy one too. But if needed I can build or modify one it the machine shop I work at. Thanks a lot.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Everything on a good working 1911 works together. Change one aspect, and you may have to change others.

If you add that, you may have to figure out if the current recoil spring rate is correct.

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Will do my friend :)-

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Crossed my mind-
    Kind of looking forward to maybe tweeking this or that -
    Dont have a winter project & will have almost 10 days off starting Friday :D

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Pretty pleased with fit & finish-
    Snug fit with no fitting :)
    Prettier than my slide finish :eek:
    Bad weather but i'll let you know when i get to shoot it :cool:

[​IMG]

13. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

Yeah that looks good I'm waiting to get one ordered till I hear if u have to do anything to the gun after a trip to the range. Also are u using a one peace guide rod or what in your gun ?

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Standard spring setup-
    Hope to shoot in the next couple days-

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Thought i'd post a pic of it pretty much complete-
    Thinking hard on completely reblueing to match everything up :eek:
    I love this ole gun- Best part is NO BILLBOARD :cool:
    Shoots great with the same recoil spring & it DID solve the "pitch" of the muzzel blast :) Muzzel jump was reduced for another plus-

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Have you shot it yet? It looks fine as it is, but that's personal preference. I think the only way you'll make a perfect match its to strip and blue everything, frame, slide, and compensator. The gun doesn't quite look like its due for a refinish, so its up to you if you want to do it.

17. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Yes, shot it yesterday - mission was successfull :D
    Thanks, it looks fine but due to several added parts it'd a bit "multi-colored" & the original finish is 40+ yrs old - Has a few battle scars also-
    Going to "semi-retire" 1st of year so i'll be needin "projects" :D

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

So I take it that it didn't hurt your ears the way it did before? That's great, I'm glad it worked out for you. Personally, I kind of like a bit of a frankenstein look. That's part if the reason I'd like to build a rat rod bike.

19. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Thanks, yes- It removed the icepick from my left ear :eek::D
    I just like things a little different - personal touches as it were :)