Firearms Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Supporting Member
14,226 Posts
SK
First go to our Introduction Section and introduce yourself. Glad you found us and hope you stay!
And tell us more in detail about your slide wont cycle?
Is this when you pull it back to load the first round, or after you fire the first round or what. Please be specific if you can!
And wishing you a Merry Christmas!:)

Reactions: OLD Ron

·
Supporting Member
14,226 Posts
SK
Try taking a round or two out of it! And let us know!
One other issue what round are you using Round Ball or Hollow Point?

Reactions: OLD Ron

·
Supporting Member
14,226 Posts
SK
Is your Rock Island 1911 a government model and full size 1911?
Assuming your pistol works fine with regular mags. And those 40 round Mags are supposedly designed for Ball Ammo, so the ammo is not an issue. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but IMO the word PRO MAG is a key point. They are not known for the highest quality. And you also you advised, it did not want to lock in your pistol that was another sign of quality issues. Did they happen to get a receipt or know where they got it?
I had just purchased 4 of the following just for shooting on the Range and thought I would save some money over factory Glock Mags! That was my mistake! Never again will I purchase any Pro Mags! I had heard of issues in the past from others.
In fact two weeks ago, I sent 4 Model 17 Glock Pro Mags I purchased from the Magazine Wearhouse back to Pro Mag direct. Because I could only get 10 rounds of the 17 in them! They sent me replacements that were not any better. So kept them and will only be loading 10 rounds in them just for shooting on the Range. I had never experienced that with any magazines before. And I have been involved with hundreds of weapons and Mags in my career. I also worked for several years with a major custom 1911 and AR Manufacturer. So this was a Suprise!

Reactions: primer1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SK
Is your Rock Island 1911 a government model and full size 1911?
Assuming your pistol works fine with regular mags. And those 40 round Mags are supposedly designed for Ball Ammo, so the ammo is not an issue. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but IMO the word PRO MAG is a key point. They are not known for the highest quality. And you also you advised, it did not want to lock in your pistol that was another sign of quality issues. Did they happen to get a receipt or know where they got it?
I had just purchased 4 of the following just for shooting on the Range and thought I would save some money over factory Glock Mags! That was my mistake! Never again will I purchase any Pro Mags! I had heard of issues in the past from others.
In fact two weeks ago, I sent 4 Model 17 Glock Pro Mags I purchased from the Magazine Wearhouse back to Pro Mag direct. Because I could only get 10 rounds of the 17 in them! They sent me replacements that were not any better. So kept them and will only be loading 10 rounds in them just for shooting on the Range. I had never experienced that with any magazines before. And I have been involved with hundreds of weapons and Mags in my career. I also worked for several years with a major custom 1911 and AR Manufacturer. So this was a Suprise!

I believe it is a government model and yes it is full size. I talked to the person who got it for me and they are going to get me what I need to return it. Then I did a little more research and found one that is only 28 rounds but has good reviews for the rock island 1911, so im going to get that one and hope that it works! its the
1911 .45 ACP 28rd Drum Mag
from classicfirearms.com

·
Registered
221 Posts
On rock islands the factory mags have a rôunded edge. That little lip on other mags will prevent the mag from seating with a click unless the slide is back. And then that lip prevents the slide from going forward once the mag Is lcked in place.

·
Supporting Member
14,226 Posts
SK
Sounds good!

·
Registered
467 Posts
sk1ttlezninj : just for information and in case ya didn't know, a 1911 with a 5" barrel is considered a "Government", while one with a 4.25" barrel is a "Commander" and one with a 3.5" barrel is an "Officer"

here's a pic showing the 3 sizes, from top : "Government" (Nighthawk Enforcer .45acp), "Commander" (STI 4.0 Tactical SS .40cal) & "Officer" (STI Elektra .45acp)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I loaded the drum and put it in but the slide won't cycle.
As noted, ProMag is not held in high regard by most 1911 guys.

However, just for fun and as a learning moment read the following that I excerpted from this thread: Why is it so hard to seat the magazine and how do I fix it?

SLIDE CONTACT

In rare instances the right side of the top of the magazine tube ahead of the feed lips may come into contact with the underside of the slide keeping the magazine from easily locking into the pistol or preventing it altogether.

To test for this condition remove the magazine spring and follower, remove the recoil spring, remove the disconnector, and install the magazine catch. Pull the slide all the way to the rear, lock the magazine tube into the pistol, and slowly ease the slide forward while being alert to any indications of contact between the slide and the magazine tube. There should be no contact between the slide and the magazine tube. This condition can be so severe that the slide will not close.

The fix is to file down the magazine’s contact point with the slide.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts