1911 .22lr

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by bhoskins, Jan 9, 2012.

1. bhoskins

bhoskins New Member

Does anyone own a .22 1911? I've been looking around and it seems they just don't work all that good. I know its a dirty caliber but has anyone had good luck w theirs? I'm new to the 1911 world...just purchased a Sig P238 and absolutely love this little thing. I want a full size. 45 but the funds just aren't there yet for the one I want. I have multiple .22s due to increase of bullet cost. I'm still looking around...I will take any comments towards the right direction...thanks!

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got a gsg 1911-22 works fantastic. if i had to do over i would get the sig 1911-22 same as the gsg just better warranty and service after the sale

3. Dino1

Dino1 New Member

+1 for the GSG/Sig.
    Best 1911-22 on the market, IMO.

Here's mine. :)
    [​IMG]

4. aandabooks

aandabooks Active Member

Colt/Walther/Umarex here. Well over 1000 rounds of CCI Mini-Mags and Blazer without a single malfunction.

[​IMG]

Just a hair under $400 OTD.

5. Shoots2little

Shoots2little New Member

I can attest that the Umarex/Walther/Colt shoots wonderfully. Shot a hundred rounds through a new one last weekend with a bunch of cheap ammo without a single issue. The feel was spot on with a Springfield Armory 1911 in .45 and was why my friend had purchased it in the first place. It seems the only one really available currently is the rail version, as I was/am looking for one myself. I know another guy who had the new Browning on order but after shooting Umarex he canceled his order (it is a slightly scaled down size). I have seen them locally for 375ish.

6. progolfer_iii

progolfer_iii New Member

Dino.........Have you changed your sights? I also have the GSG and want to replace the plastic sights. Just wondering if ant 1911 sights will fit?

7. Dino1

Dino1 New Member

I replaced the front sight with the #2 that came with the pistol but that's it.
    I'm happy with the accuracy as it is.

Others have added adjustable sights ...
    GSG 1911 report and looking for suggestion - 1911Forum

And I believe ATI or GSG-Pro is now making an adjustable rear sight for the GSG 1911, but i can't find the link.

*edit*
    Found the sight I was thinking of.
    It's not ATI or GSG-Pro. :eek:
    https://www.dlaskarms.com//product_...d=246&osCsid=7870b1a64099e24d49b3d389e1cd789f

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Is that green :confused:

9. Dino1

Dino1 New Member

It's "OD" (olive drab) ... aka "green". :)

10. bhoskins

bhoskins New Member

Any misfires or misdeeds? It looks good...thats the same one I've been looking at

11. thefonze

thefonze New Member

Just bought a 1911 colt, waiting on it to come in from germany.

Like what i'm hearing so far!

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

Did you get it from an online dealer that has a storefront in Germany or something?

Let me rephrase, why the hell is it in Germany?

13. GateMcBate

GateMcBate New Member

My sig 1911 .22lr still made by gsg. I really like this gun but tends to ftf on the second round. I only have one mag right now with 1000 or so rounds. I cant seem to find more mags for under $50.

Attached Files:

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

THAT is a good question :confused:

15. progolfer_iii

progolfer_iii New Member

I have a GSG also. Have the FTF on second round only if it's cheap ammo. Joe Bob's outfitters has mags for around $30. I got my extras there.

16. GateMcBate

GateMcBate New Member

Joe bobs is out. I guess i should buy stock in gsg since they cant stay on the shelf.

17. Dino1

Dino1 New Member

I had a couple FTF's when I first got it.
    When I took a closer look, I noticed a little bit of drag when the slide returned to battery.
    Because there is so little spring tension from the recoil spring, my thinking is that any little bit of drag has the potential for FTF's.
    So I polished the face of the hammer and where it makes contact when returning to battery, underneath the slide.
    I'm guessing what manufactures refer to as a "break-in period" would help to smooth out these contact areas as well.

The slide now returns to battery as smooth as glass and I haven't had a single FTF since. :)

18. GateMcBate

GateMcBate New Member

What kind of ammo should I use in my sig 1911 .22lr? After 3 trips to the range I went through 700 winchester 36 grain and 300 fedral 40 grain. Both kinds were resulting in ftf on 2nd round too often.

19. Dino1

Dino1 New Member

I've always found CCI MiniMags to be very reliable.

20. progolfer_iii

progolfer_iii New Member

I put 250+ rounds through mine on Sat. at a steel challenge. Bulk Federal HV with not 1 problem. 100+ rounds of Winchester bulk, same as you shot, and had several FTF today. Just FYI.