1911 22lr conversion kits

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Hangunner308, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Hangunner308

Hangunner308 New Member

I have recently shot my uncles 1911 with the Marvel Unit 1 conversion kit and imediatley fell in love. only problem i have is fear of the jams and operation. His jams a lot and either fires or not and if it does not you have to take out the mag and recock the gun because one is still in the chamber and does not exract. I read a review on the same exact setup... a springfield armory 1911 with the marvel unit 1 kit and he had the exact same problems... but he said after a few hundread rounds and obviously breaking in the gun at the same time the problems went away and he only had 3 jams within 500 rounds afterwards... My uncle I doubt have shot close to 1k rounds not even 500 rounds i dont think, would shooting more rounds and breaking in his 1911 more solve the problems as it did for the other guy? I wanna hear some thaughts and insight about it b4 i think about getting a 1911 and a Marvel Unit 1 conversion kit

2. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

Weew!! I almost ran out of breath from reading that major cluster**** of a paragraph. Please stop butchering the english language. Thanks.

Can you repost this in english for everyone, other than yourself to read?

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

3. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

I wish I had a dollar for every post saying the same thing. .22 conversions for 1911's are unreliable. If you want a super reliable .22, get a Ruger Mk II. Trying to build a .22 from a 1911 is just a hobby to raise your blood pressure.

4. Hangunner308

Hangunner308 New Member

sorry about the bad english... new generation teens/adults haha, anyways, I think its a great setup for small game hunting, seriously shot this thing at 50 yards and shots were almost touching, I didnt believe what my uncle said about its accuracy til I shot it, which is why I might want one for next year. plus as an added bonus 22lr is cheap and would be very fun for plinking as well

5. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I've never seen much a reason for the conversion kits. There are 22's out there that will give you that 1911 feel and you don't have two half guns. You have two guns. The Ruger 22/45 is great if you are looking for an under 300.00 that will have a similar grip angle and weight. Not to mention the Chiappa 1911-22.

I don't know, the price of conversion kits that make you ..well..convert you can have two complete handguns and not need to change between one half gun or the other if you change your mind about the caliber of the day.:)

6. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

7. gollygee

gollygee New Member

When I was researching for a .22 pistol, consensus of opinion from dealers & owners was that the .22LR conversions, regardless of manufacturer, required high velocity ammo to cycle properly. They didn't seem to do well with such as the Federal 550 Bulk Pack, etc.

Also the Ruger Mark series, especially the older Mark I & Mark II, & Browning Buckmark series seemed to get high marks in regard to handling the cheaper bulk ammo. Even dealers who didn't have them told me this, so I know they weren't just trying to sell me one.

I also have the GSG1911-22 that bartwatkins mentioned & it cycles the Federal bulk ammo real well, in fact cycled some 30 year old ammo of mixed brands I had. You will get some 'second strike' issues with the cheap stuff, that's why they put an extra 50 rounds in the box. But all you have to do is recock the hammer & try again.

8. Hangunner308

Hangunner308 New Member

as the guy stated in his review of the Unit 1 conversion kit, after a few hundread rounds of breaking in the gun it started cycling and shooting normaly no jams or mis fires, he started with federal value pack and ppl told him to buy all these other ammo so he did but that was during the break in process... after all that it started shooting any kind of ammo normaly federals, cci, winchester.... so i doubt the type of amunition is the main cause of the jams and misfires. it seems like im not getting replies relevant to my post all im hearing is to go buy a dif gun. If im wasting money buying a 1911 and a half of a gun then im wasting money, can we try to stick to the original post? I was hoping to hear from other 1911 owners who have experience with or own a Marvel Unit 1 conversion kit

9. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

Oroiginal post:

here's my thoughts and insights:

A lot of accumulated experience has shown me the .22 cartridge does not have enough power to reliably cycle these 1911 add on units. Some sort of work, many do not and never will, and all are extremely sensitive to the ammo because they need every last iota of push from the ammo to cycle at all.

My input: I would never buy one from any maker.

10. Hangunner308

Hangunner308 New Member

out of my uncles we shot cci stingers... very loud and does seem to cycle but can still give u a misfire like u can get 3-5 shots off then have a problem, we did shoot some cci 40grn subsonic lead HP and it cycled as well, but that was only 4 shots... online i seen a video and the guy didnt have any issues his shot like any 1911 45 and he was using the same unit 1 conversion kit

11. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Maybe your question is better posed to the manufacturer.

12. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I just got back from a gunshop/gunsmith in tulsa,they have tons of different weapons. Looking at the prices "which they have really good prices" you can buy a 1911 .22 cheaper or about the same price as a kit. I would just buy a dedicated 1911 .22

13. Hangunner308

Hangunner308 New Member

but how accurate are the dedicated 22lr 1911's gotta admit shots almost touching at 50 yards from a 1911 22lr conversion kit is pretty impressive

14. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

Wait - so now it's okay to talk about another gun entirely...?
    I am still feeling a bit slapped on the wrist with a ruler by the teacher.
    Okay - I'm joking :)

But mine is pretty darn accurate (not sure about shots almost touching at 50 yards accurate - but very accurate). Heck, I don't even think I have fired mine as far downrange as 50 yards. I will try that.

15. gollygee

gollygee New Member

When shooting from a rest, mine is accurate also. It's just when I shoot free hand that it starts getting snipity.;)

16. Hangunner308

Hangunner308 New Member

my family is big on handgun hunting. I like the accuracy for small game, hardly do i ever shoot 50 yards or 40 when hunting but my custom ruger 10/22 can put shots in the same hole at 50 yards and compaired to the 1911 marvel unit 1 kit that has them almost touching at 50 I'd rather carry the 1911 rather than my 8 pound ruger plus the fun and challenge of it being a handgun rather a rifle is why I like it.... just gotta realize ppl like dif. things than others were all not the same a 1911 to some is a self defense gun or a fun shoot gun, but to me id like to have the self defense gun since i can change it back to a regular 45 and also the superb accurate 22lr gun because I love to handgun hunt
    Im also big on accuracy for some reason, always have been, and sure maybe i like the fancies or high end stuff, lets not start critisizing ppls choice of firearms and their uses

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  17. thundrr1

thundrr1 New Member

Well I have one,,,, and I really like is so far. 200 rounds of CCI mini-mag and not one failure. I got it to get some cheap trigger time on my Letham Legend. Learning the break takes some time and I figured this was a great way to do that.

I just got a trap for the basement, so I can get some trigger time in the Winter. I got the special which is a barrel that didn't quite make it as a number 1, but will out shoot the #2. I also got the threaded barrel. Next week I'll be purchasing a can.

Good luck on your decision. I enjoy mine.

18. LandMonster

LandMonster New Member

I have had this marvel kit for three years now and I am familiar with the fail to feed, stovepipe issues you describe.

First, because the 1911 was not designed to shoot wimpy .22 ammo you have to use HIGH velocity ammo. Preferably CCI Minimag. It needs the extra powder to eject and cycle. I can't stress enough how much your ammo choice will effect the performance here.

Secondly, keep it clean and oiled almost to the point of sloppy. I don't know why, but this kit gets dirty really fast. Then again, I will routinely put a few hundred rounds through it in a session.

Finally, I have problems with the first round of a magazine. It routinely fails to strip cleanly and make it to battery. After I cycle the slide and eject the round the rest go off in good order. This leads me to believe that there is a real issue with the mag that they supply with the kit. They make after market .22 mags but they are about $35.

In conclusion, I still enjoy the conversion kit because it allows me trigger time on my favorite pistol without the recoil and cost of shooting .45. Reducing both recoil and cost are positive influences on my training regime.

There is nothing like switching to .22 after a hundred rounds of .45 to bring to light the jerks, pulls and anticipation of recoil mistakes you've been making for the past hour.

The marvel conversion has its place, but I don't think I would hunt with it. I certainly would not count on it to save my life. It's a toy or a tool at best.