1911-22

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by keitho, Jan 31, 2012.

1. keitho

keitho New Member

I just purchased a 1911-22 w/silencer factory installed ---I fired it after I got home and it is LOud ---why does the silencer not work?

2. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

Not sure what brand you purchased but the GSG .22cal 1911 (imported and sold by ATI) can come with a factory faux supressor. Meaning fake (just for looks). You would need a class 4 fed license for a true supressor.

3. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

Sorry, it is Fed (ATF) Form 4 - not class 4.
    I get these confused.

But the point is that you have to specifically apply and pay the $200 fee to the Feds to own a true suppressor.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

First it's a suppressor, not a silencer.

Second, a real suppressor is a NFA item requiring a tax stamp. If you didn't pay the $200 federal tax stamp it's either not a suppressor or you are illegal and a black Suburban will be driving up to your house soon to take you to Club-Fed.

5. keitho

keitho New Member

it is a chiappa made in dayton ohio and I was told it was legal as is in Mo.

6. keitho

keitho New Member

I looked it up on the Chiappa site and the suppesor is called a fake suppesor :eek: oh well guess I will go and get my money back --I thought I had a real neighborhood dog getter thanks

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Compare a .22 rifle to a .22 pistol for loudness. The rifle is considerably quieter.

You are wearing ear protection either way, aren't you?

8. Millerlite

Millerlite New Member

To add to the above posts, you can't just walk out of a LGS with a suppressor. They have to submit the form 4 paperwork to the batfe and you get to wait 4-6months (that is if you have a NFA trust set up). I'm going on my 6 month for .22 suppressor.