1908 Brazilian Mauser wanted.

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by OldManMontgomery, May 24, 2020.

1. OldManMontgomery

OldManMontgomery Active Member

Not collector quality desired. (Meaning I won't pay collector's price.)

I seek a Brazilian 1908 Mauser in 7x57mm Mauser. Must have functional barrel not shortened to less than 24", receiver and bolt matching and most of the stock. I may want to see a fired case.

I live in Nebraska, getting an FFL to receive it is not a serious problem, just an annoyance. I have seen this sort of thing sold lately in the $300 to $400 range, will trade some items depending on what you seek.

Best to send me private message to inbox, then I'll be sure to see it.

2. OldManMontgomery

Okay, being met with a deafening silence, I will alter my scope.

I am interested in several old rifles that are more or less complete (action, bolt, barrel) and are potentially shootable with some effort. They can be sporterized (or bubba'd to some degree) or just ignored.
    I am really interested in a 7x57mm Mauser, but have interest in a 1905 Dutch (Mannlicher designed) rifle and a Lee-Enfield in .303 British. I will not buy everything and anything, but there are several I seek.

Wire Paladin, Hastings Nebraska. (San Francisco is too screwy these days.)

3. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

A Swedish Mauser in 6.5X55 is the very pinnacle of the family Mauser and a good bit easier to find. I've had quite a few of them and the workmanship is second to none. I shot a Swedish m/41B in vintage sniper competition and 700 yards is nothing for it. The 6.5X55 is a very accurate, hard hitting round that is easy on the shoulder. In Sweden they hunt moose with it.

4. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had poor luck with surplus 7MM Mausers. I have bought several, of different nationalities, and all of them are wall hangers because the bores are shot out. I am talking key holing at ten yards.

You might consider a rifle in 7.65 x 53. You can find sporterized Argentine Mausers relatively inexpensively. They are good rifles.

I am a big fan of the Swedish Mausers as well, but they are becoming a little pricey to sporterize.

5. OldManMontgomery

I agree with you. I have an M94 in original condition, an M96 in original condition, an M38 in original condition, several 'altered' ones and a CZ (modern) rifle.

6. OldManMontgomery

Yeah. I am considering rebarreling a 1903 Springfield to 7x57mm (should I say .275 Rigby) now. That rifle has been customized long ago and I have several authentic 1903s and a couple .30-06 rifles.
    I have one, but i'm not going to change that one. I like the round as well, but it's too much like the .308 Winchester to excite me; and I have a nice Ruger 77 International in .308 Win already.
    See reply above.