Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a adventure to one of my LGS for a yugo Mauser. They had 2 of them but wanted $400 for them. So that tells how bad prices are in my area. There mosin nagants 91/30 where $150. Well I ended up finding a 1903 Springfield with a later serial #. For $350. It has the original front site and is missing the rear sight. And has a sportirized stock. I got the wife's blessing to get it. So I am gonna stop there tomorrow and put it on lay away.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MoreAltitude said:
I got 2 very old sporterized Remington 03's, love em.
There was also a Remington. It was tapped for a scope. And didn't have iron sights. And something looked different with the safety.

·
Registered
456 Posts
robertb6112 said:
There was also a Remington. It was tapped for a scope. And didn't have iron sights. And something looked different with the safety.
This is what the safety on one of mine look like.

Attachments

·
Banned
14,919 Posts
I took a adventure to one of my LGS for a yugo Mauser. They had 2 of them but wanted $400 for them. So that tells how bad prices are in my area. There mosin nagants 91/30 where $150. Well I ended up finding a 1903 Springfield with a later serial #. For $350. It has the original front site and is missing the rear sight. And has a sportirized stock. I got the wife's blessing to get it. So I am gonna stop there tomorrow and put it on lay away.
That's a fine gun, I have one myself. You should be able to find plenty of options for a rear sight, but they may not be real cheap. Figure on $100, you might find something for less but I would figure on it.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Do you know if its a early '03 or a A3?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trez said:
Do you know if its a early '03 or a A3?
I put it on lay away today. Hopefully I can come up with the money sooner then later. It's a 03, the serial # is in the 900,000. So it's safe to shoot. Once I get it I will post pictures.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also I saved it one of the employees wanted to buy it to turn in a 300 win mag are something like that. Not 100% on what he wanted to make it. I told him I'm glad I'm saving it.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Ive got a 1903 too but mines a bit differant. the safty is a little differant my ser# is 868 first 3 #s. This was handed down it was my grandfathers
Would like to know more about it if you guys can help.

oh and love the social d bag, lol

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
racer_x said:
Ive got a 1903 too but mines a bit differant. the safty is a little differant my ser# is 868 first 3 #s. This was handed down it was my grandfathers
Would like to know more about it if you guys can help.

oh and love the social d bag, lol
Thanks! The social d is the back of my leather jacket. Is your 1903 sporterized? I wanna return mine to the military stock. First I need to get the rear sight to shoot it. And give it a good cleaning.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Im not sure to be honest its one rifle i dont know anything about. I know the stock is not military 23+" barrel its got a layman front sight im pretty sure has been added on as well.

Even better then a bag get to wear it on your back, one of my favorite bands

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
racer_x said:
Thats just like mine. If that helps
Is your a 03A3? I seen one with a Lyman rear sight at the LGS I got this one. I think there collectible sights not sure though. I'm not a 1903 expert haha. I've seen social D about 3 times. There a great live band

·
Registered
967 Posts
How do you tell the differance in the a3 or 03? mines stamped just like yours but a lower ser# my rear sight may be a layman, the front is stamped.

Nice i bet they would be good live!!

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Early versions of the 1903 have the M1905 leaf sight, the A3's have a peep sight like the M1 Garand

It actually doesnt look too bad, not much to bring back to G.I spec... :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I paid $350 for the rifle. I thought it was a good deal. They had a Remington there that was drilled for a scope and it had a shorter barrel. For the same price.

·
Registered
456 Posts
1 - 20 of 52 Posts