Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited my father's 1902 Colt 1911 Super 38 twenty one years ago. Can anyone tell me anything about it. It came from the factory mickle plated with the hammer and trigger gold plated. The grips are Franzite grips with a Eagle on the emblem on the grips.
 

Attachments

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,309 Posts
Don- STOP.

First, the 1902 is not a 1911.

Second, the 1902 was not a .38 Super- it was a .38 ACP. The Model 1902 was made up until 1928, and the .38 Super came out in 1929. While the cartridges are identical in size, they are NOT identical in power. It is downright dangerous to shoot .38 Super in a .38 Auto pistol.

Re: Eagle on the grip medallion- sure that is not the "Rampant Colt"? Not enuff pixels in your photo to tell.

Here is some basic info for you-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_M1902
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
donray said:
I inherited my father's 1902 Colt 1911 Super 38 twenty one years ago. Can anyone tell me anything about it. It came from the factory mickle plated with the hammer and trigger gold plated. The grips are Franzite grips with a Eagle on the emblem on the grips.
I'd say standard model colt 1902. Beautiful collectors piece you got
 

·
Retired
Joined
·
13,590 Posts
Follow the advice of these fine gentlemen.

I sure would hate to see such a thing of beauty destroyed because you didn't.

I second the .38 ACP. It was not designed to handle the pressure of the .38Super
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
MoreAltitude said:
I'd say standard model colt 1902. Beautiful collectors piece you got
Edit- Didn't see first response by C3 before I posted.
Oh and I think it's military model??? Didn't only the military models have a straight (not rounded) butt? I don't fully trust my older Colt knowledge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
c3shooter said:
Don- STOP.

First, the 1902 is not a 1911.

Second, the 1902 was not a .38 Super- it was a .38 ACP. The Model 1902 was made up until 1928, and the .38 Super came out in 1929. While the cartridges are identical in size, they are NOT identical in power. It is downright dangerous to shoot .38 Super in a .38 Auto pistol.

Re: Eagle on the grip medallion- sure that is not the "Rampant Colt"? Not enuff pixels in your photo to tell.

Here is some basic info for you-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_M1902
No it's definitely an eagle carrying something
 

·
Retired
Joined
·
13,590 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BillM said:
Hmmm. Maybe it made a pass through Mexico sometime in the last
100+ years.

Does it look like an eagle grabbing a snake a snake, sitting on a cactus?
Yes it is..any clues
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found a website that described the gun to a tee all the way down to the grips with the Eagle and it said they made 800 like them for the Mexican government in 1917
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
donray said:
I found a website that described the gun to a tee all the way down to the grips with the Eagle and it said they made 800 like them for the Mexican government in 1917
Anyone ever seen or heard of that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
donray said:
Anyone ever seen or heard of that?
Your 1902 was made in 1917 with that serial. Additionally, once I saw the better pics I saw the grips. FRANZITE (flying eagle) was just a aftermarket brand of grips, which were imitation checked ivory, vintage but not original.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top