1891 Argentine Mauser

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by DrGonzo11, Sep 23, 2009.

1. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

I just picked up a 1891 Argentine at a gun show and was wondering if anyone knows of any resources on dating these guns by serial number? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  2. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Here's a photo:

Attached Files:

3. rifleman1

rifleman1 Active Member

4. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Perfect! Thanks buddy, I couldn't find that info anywhere.

Its funny, I bought the Giant book "Mauser Military rifles of the World" by: Ball for like $60, and it has more pictures than useful information, oh well:).

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Well, don't keep us in suspense, what's it's date of manufacture?

6. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

It is an 1894, that would be my oldest gun. Its amazing that it looks this good after 105 years.

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Very cool. It's almost as old as me. ;)

8. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Ha ha, I honestly had to pegged as a 30-ish year old, until you posted that bio in the introductions section. :)

9. markerdown

markerdown New Member

Wow, That looks to be in very nice shape. I used to be into the old 8mm mousers especially with the '98 action. Got any pics of the cartouches or stampings??......markerdown

10. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

1891's

I just received a free one a couple summers ago (sporterized) the fella running the pawn shop dident want to mess with it and said I could have it if I'd do the paper work, Mine was built in 1900 and all #'s match i wouldent mind replacing the cut stock
    I found that who ever traded the Mauser to the shop dident know how to remove the bolt and they broke the bolt stop & they dry fired it so much the fireing pin was broken, It now has a replacement fireing pin and a replacement bolt stop and its in good working order
    These old mauser rifles have a pretty frail looking fireing pin which is pretty hard as compared to a Mauser model 98 like compareing a tooth pick to a bridge spike.
    I'd recomend not dry fireing the 1891 at a minimum of a slip up once in a great while one may get by without damage.

11. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

I Just listed this gun in "FOR SALE" section if anyone is interested. I can ship it anywhere and since its an antique NO FFL is required. PM if interested.