185gr vs. 200gr vs. 230gr .45 ACP

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by IGETEVEN, Sep 29, 2009.

1. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Alright men, all of you with various .45's What are your favorite grain preferences? And the pros and cons of why you use that grain?

Jack

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  2. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

........a far too often misunderstanding in ammunition.
    ...Loads are expressed in GRAINS which is the
    BULLET (projectile) weight........it has NOTHING to do with the powder
    charge !

Typically in handgun ammunition, within the same caliber, lighter bullet weight will have a higher velocity....heavier bullets will have a lower velocity.

Most major manufacturers of handgun ammunition will NEVER tell you the weight of the powder charge OR what the powder is. Ballistic formulas for a combination of accuracy, velocity and consistency are closely guarded and the result of extensive research and development.

230 Grain is often favored in LE like the Gold Dot Bullet. 200 Grain Gold Dots are available in +P and go a little faster. 185's are a little faster but start to have problems in penetrating lots of clothing.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'm an old fashioned guy, I stick with 230 grain.

...but I use special nuclear powder. ;)

4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

You are partly correct sir. Grains is powder, more precise, the amont of powder measured in specific grain weight, needed to combust and send the specific bullet type at a selected velocity. :)

Jack

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  5. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

230 grain FMJ for the range, 230 grain JHP for carry. If I ever have to use it for self defence, I want it to have some knockdown power.

6. layton

layton New Member

As for me, I use 230gr for the heaver weight and knock down power.

Layton

7. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Tried and true 230gr. Usually FMJ for practice, Will rotate in my carry ammo ocasionally. Used Hydrashock's for years, recently switched to HST +P