1858 New Army

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by JD1969, Dec 1, 2011.

1. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

Cabala's has them on sale for $179 (also the 1851 Navy Brasser for $129). I just could not help myself, I missed my old BP wheel gun too much. I drove over before work and took one home with me. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic, it's all I have here at work.

Attached Files:

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

It looks pretty good from here ;).

3. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

These are awesome pistols! I shoot mine about every two or three months and hitting the bullseye at 25 yards is no big deal with this gun! Great buy!

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Thats a beauuuutiful piece of history. Recreated of course but still purty:)

5. orangello

orangello New Member

That is some nice-looking wood on the grip!

I have really enjoyed mine, and my nephew has enjoyed the NMA replica i gave him. I still haven't figured out how he loaded two balls in one chamber, though.

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Thats great!! I needed a good laugh thanx. Less powder maybe?

7. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Shouldn't have done it but just had to at that price. Got an extra cylinder also. Both back ordered but I'm in no hurry.

8. winch

winch New Member

That is a good deal!! I have the 1858 New Army Target model (has a rear sight) and I also bought an 1858 SS Buffalo Model that has a barrell about 12" long!! Lots of fun!! I "had" to buy the spare cylinders too. I use .454 balls FYI.

9. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Has anyone used cast bullets from a Lee mold in these? They claim better accuracy over a round ball and I like the lube rings near the base. I am going to get a mould but don't know if I should just stick with the round ball.

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I dont know bout them but my 1861 colt army 44 shoots them amazingly

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

11. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

The round ball is most accurate. The conical isn't bad just not quite as good. The conical hits harder tho.

12. nastyogre

nastyogre New Member

I've had one of these for about five years or so. I bought it because it looked beautiful and I didn't have one. :) I haven't shot it with BP(in fact it's never been shot). My thoughts are to get the conversion cylinder for it so I can shoot .45 LC out of it. Has anyone had experience with this conversion? I'd like to know if it works well or not? Accuracy? I'd love to start shooting this one. :)

13. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

As I type this I am waiting for a spot on the range. I'll put up a report on how it does later today.

14. grizzlymag

grizzlymag New Member

I enjoy using a .45 Colt cylinder with my revolver , I find its accuracy acceptable, point of impact is very different between the two using the sights.

Attached Files:

15. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

I just got done cleaning my New Army and my Hawken after a trip to the range. I must say the New Army shot better than expected, in fact it out shot my Single Ten Ruger. At 50 feet I was getting 3-4 inch groups shooting with one hand. I was loading 30 grains of Pyro FFFG. At some point I am going to want to get the trigger worked but other wise it is a great shooter.

16. nastyogre

nastyogre New Member

Thanks for the reply. As I understand it you can only use light cowboy loads with this set up? It's not going to be used as a defense weapon obviously. Do you think it's worth getting as a plinker? The cylinder that is.

17. grizzlymag

grizzlymag New Member

I reload the .45 colts with trailboss powder and bulk bullets (cheaper to reload that way) factory cowboy rounds is a different story price wise. The cost of the cylinder isn't cheap and when you add the price of the revolver to that you could easily buy a non-black powder hand gun which you could load and unload a lot quicker for about that same price, so it's up to you if you think it's going to be cost efficient.

18. grizzlymag

grizzlymag New Member

After all that said and done it is still really fun to shoot the .45 cartridges out of a 1858 Remington new army revolver, a lot cleaner to.
    P.S. It's recommended that you only use that cylinder on a steel frame not a brass frame revolver.

19. nastyogre

nastyogre New Member

Thanks for the info. I have the gun already so another $300 for a gun that I can actually shoot isn't bad. Plus I kinda like the classic look it has. And yes mines a steel frame. :)

20. monet61

monet61 New Member

Good for you. I really enjoy mine, whether shooting cap and ball or using conversion cylinders. Here's 3 of mine. Two .45 and a .36.

Attached Files: