1851 springfield mystery

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by smittywesson, Nov 1, 2013.

1. smittywesson

smittywesson New Member

I recently bought an 1851 springfield at a gun show, and under closer inspection I noticed that there is some sort of like a metal pipe glued in the inside of the barrel. I assume someone put this here so it cannot be fired (the ramrod will not fit down the barrel. It appears to be about 4" long, and is down the barrel about a foot. I've attached a picture. This is the best pic I could get because i had to shine the light down the barrel. Anyway, I also have some pics of the gun itself. There is "VP" and "1851" stamped on top of the "receiver". Any info would help thanks.

Attached Files:

2. towboater

towboater Active Member

Cool old gun.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013

3. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

That is the skirt from a "Miniball". Someone has attempted to fire a Miniball through the barrel. The gun was not intended for the bullet and most likely over charged. This is a common problem in muskets. The Miniball skirts are very soft so they can expand and seal the gases behind it. If the charge is too heavy the skirt separates from the solid ball and leaves a lead ring stuck in the barrel. They can only be removed by screwing the tang and plug out of the rear of the barrel. If you are not familiar with these guns take it to a shop. This can be a difficult operation.:)

4. musketshooter

musketshooter New Member

You will have to unbreach the barrel and get a rod just under bore size and drive it out from the back. Do not attempt to shoot it out!

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

It is not unusual for these old guns to have a stack of skirts stuck in them. After years the lead oxidizes and becomes pitted and adhered to the bore. This needs attention from an experienced black powder shop. :)