18 yo ccw

Discussion in 'Georgia Gun Forum' started by Georgiahunter, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

Hey Georgians, are y'all aware of a bill going through the General Assembly that would allow 18 year olds to carry a concealed weapon? According to the bill they would have to have 4 hours of classroom and 4 hours of instructed range time before they can apply. What are y'alls thoughts on the bill?

2. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Sort of mixed. It's primarily aimed at military personnel, not your average 18-20 year old, and is worded in that fashion, which I have no issue with. Of course, I believe if you're old enough to bleed for this country you should be old enough to have a beer, so what do I know?

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Ben,

I fully 100% agree! If you are old enough and are serving your country you should be considered as a man not a juvenile. A large amount of those who have served as well as paid the ultimate price over the years defending our freedom have been between 18-21 years old. I myself just turned 19 when I left home for the service. So for those serving who can legally have a pistol I have absolutely no problem with them having a CCW! After all, some carry a weapon into combat daily!
    God Bless our Troops!

4. CaseyPhoenix

CaseyPhoenix New Member

5. BOBCAT62

BOBCAT62 New Member

i agree! If you are old enough and are serving your country you should be able to have a ccw. but i don't think any 18 year old should be able to carry one, only those who have been in the service i have know problem with that like caseyphoenix said some carry a weapon into combat daily. so i agree with him

6. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

I agree with military ccw, but other 18 yr olds I am hesitant, I know I was half retarded when I was 18. They say the part of your frontal cortex that's responsible for weighing actions vs. consequences doesn't mature fully till around 21yrs. While the military guys have had extensive training to aid such shortcomings. JMO.......

7. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I like the idea, but a lot of people can be idiots at that age, BUT, I do not see how 3 years can really make someone change that much. I'm 19, about to turn 20 in August and I have not changed that much from when I was 18. The way I see it, maturity depends more on the person, not their age (age can play a part in it though). There are some 30-40 y/os running around with the maturity of a 12 y/o. :eek:

8. fmj

fmj New Member

In IN 18 is the legal age to apply for and receive your CCW.

The way i see it, if you are old enough (mature) to die for this country and vote for its leaders, you should be old (mature) enough to carry and drink.

As stated before i know folks well into their 40's that dont have the maturity/common sense level of some i have met in their teens.

9. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

It is legal in Virginia to open carry at 18, providing you are in legal possession of said handgun.

10. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

I don't think just because your old enough to die for your country makes you mature, if you enlist, serving, and the rigors of said service, imo is what will mature a 18 yr old. Not just having a birthday. Now of course individuals vary greatly, take texaswoodworker for example, have read many of his post and never would ve guessed he was a teen. Savy young man. Btw, how old can you be to purchase a handgun in IN?

11. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

If your old enough to die for your country than you should be allowed drink & ccw.

However class separation never works well. Should someone be allowed to protect themselves when most would not? I personally know many 18-19 year olds that could ccw. If they all can't ccw than I'd vote no. Keep laws fair, or keep them gone.

As far as the drinking laws in general they have just gotten completely out of hand. It's always a hot topic that gets a lot of politicians easy votes from mother groups, churches & general do-gooders in general. I would be willing to bet that within 7 yrs most states will pass laws ruling that a second OUI (DUI) will be considered a felony with long minimum mandatory Sentences that will further clog up are jails & prisons that I will have to pay for.

12. fmj

fmj New Member

Fed. Law dictates 21 for handgun purchase.

Some places 1 is already a felony.

Dont get me started on this BS...drinking and driving is NOT a crime! Drinking and KILLING someone with a vehicle IS!

13. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Thank you for the compliment. :)

14. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Anytime youngblood,,,, lol,

15. etbob9

etbob9 Member

I noticed this is an item to be voted on this month in the primary
    elections. It's on my Paulding County absentee ballot. Still
    thinking about that one! I would like to hear some more
    opinions.

This is for current or ex Servicemen/women.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012