.177 or .22 air rifle for squirrels?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Gizord1, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

Alright, so I am currently in college (aka I can't have any of my babies), and I have a friend who lives off campus who will let me keep a pellet gun at their place to squirrel hunt with.
    I only had one BB/pellet rifle as a kid, and now I want to get something a little more powerful. I want one that cocks in one pump (I'm thinkin a break barrel one), and easily takes small games. I am on a college student salary (not much extra $), so I want it to stay within $200. I also want it to be one I can find at the local walmart or sporting goods store. And which is better for squirrels, .177 or .22 caliber pellets?
    I know .177 has a lot of options, but .22 is a larger pellet.

I'm thinkin a Gamo brand rifle.

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Either caliber can get it done. Probably be a bit more authority and reach with the .22. My air gun squirrel hunting has always been done at ranges of 25 yds or less. And I've used 177 only. A buddy uses a .22 and seems to have fewer that take any steps after getting hit. I've had a few that have come out of the tree and made a few bounds before dying.

3. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I've killed dozens and dozens of squirrels with my scoped Daisy 1000 .177cal pellet rifle. Getting close to time to dust it off and kill some more.

4. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

If it were me I would go with the .22. It has more stopping power and will go through the leaves of the tree better with out getting deflected by small branches/trigs. I've seen bird get obliterated by these pellets. Good luck choosing one.

5. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

Goin to get groceries at Wally World, tonight, so I will look at one. I'll see what they have.
    There is a sporting goods store, but I've only been there a couple times, and their employees seem a little stuck up.
    And the wall world here has a big sporting section.

6. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

In similar powered guns, the .177 has always given me more smack effect where the squirrels drop, but the .22 is about as good. I'd recommend wadcutter pellets in either caliber if you are getting a 1,000fps .177/ 800fps .22+ in power, although if you go up in power even more and are near a neighborhood i'd go with the .22 because it is quieter than the .177's that go supersonic.

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

It doesn't really matter which caliber you use, neither has enough knock down power to knock a squirrel off a limb when you make an instant kill. It's very annoying to see your supper dead on a limb 40' in the air.

8. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

I got a gamo silent cat for $150.
    Seems pretty damn solid.
    Imma prolly start sighting it, tomorrow.

9. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Watch a few videos on that one. It looks great