177 air rifle scope

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by karlw974, Apr 16, 2011.

1. karlw974

karlw974 New Member

has anyone got any suggestions on a decent bit also cheap scope for 177 it did have open sights but it has now got a silencer

2. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

Any rimfire scope should work on the air rifle, centerfire scopes with an adjustable objective will work too. Just decide on the power and features you're looking for and a set of rings to fit your rifle.

3. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

I got a scope off my .22 it's a bsa I thinks it called a huntsman or something like that. Didn't feel to good on my colt m4 22 so I put it on my crossman storm xt and it works pretty well. It's only about $60 worth of scope.

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The recoil of a spring air rifle is different from a rim fire or center fire and it will destroy scopes that are not rated for air rifles. There are quite a few available at reasonable prices. Get one with an adjustable objective lens. I use a Barska 2-7x32 AO air rifle scope on my air rifle.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  5. AusLach

AusLach New Member

JTJ is correct, you will need a air rifle specific scope; especially for higher-powered rifles. What will be the use of your rifle? Quite often a good set of open sights will be quicker and just as effective as a scope for hunting at ranges at which an air rifle will be effective.

6. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

I didn't even consider the spring-air models, I was thinking pump or CO2.

7. karlw974

karlw974 New Member

at the moment it is just for walking around the fields at a mates house trying to get the pigeons in the trees or rabbits. It is just a bit of fun whilst im trying to get back into the sport then i want to get a 22 bolt action as my dad said he had a 14 shot semi-auto that was very good.

8. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Unless you really want to get a scope then, I'd recommend sticking with the open sights. If you practice with the open sights they should be plenty good enough to pick off a rabbit or pigeon at air-rifle ranges. I know a cheap scope doesn't cost much, but you can still save that money for your .22 and a scope for it.

9. karlw974

karlw974 New Member

what make is that i may look into getting that then

10. AusLach

AusLach New Member

The .22?

Savage makes some nice, cheap, accurate rimfires, as does Mossberg. What price range are you planning on spending?

11. karlw974

karlw974 New Member

not sure yet i am waiting for a while tho as i dont want to get it for it to be never used

12. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Fair enough mate, you can still have a lot of fun with an air rifle anyway :)

13. karlw974

karlw974 New Member

yer i think we are going again tomorrow but we could be taking a pump action 12 bore

14. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Yeah,I have heard that you do need a specific airgun scope not a regular rifle scope because the spring jolts so hard that it can ruin scopes,and on an air rifle the spring that slaps forward to push the air will cause your scope to slide back-not forward like a regular firearm when it's not on tight.That being said,I have never had a problem keeping those cheap $30 powerline/daisy 3-9x scopes from holding zero in the spring guns I used to have.