17 Remington Fireball

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by mrb1982, May 7, 2011.

1. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

Just curious if guys are shooting this round and what they think of it? Seems like it could be a good gun for messing around and maybe varminting.

2. opaww

opaww New Member

It had some popularity a while back but kind of died down as the years progressed and other calibers became more popular. It is a fair round for Varmint.

You will not be able to buy ammo for it at Wal-Mart as far as I have seen. But you should be able to get ammo for it at a good gun shop where they sell a wide verity of ammo.

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

The 17 fireball is a wildcat gone main stream on us. The very popular 17Mk IV was a necked down version of the 221 Fireball. I don't have any sub-calibers yet but I will have a 17 cal one day. The 17 fireball was adopted by remington in 2007. The original wildcat has been around since 1962 with a strong following in the sub-caliber group of varmint hunters.

They make great varmint round.

Sub-caliber is any caliber smaller than .224".

4. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

Seems like one of those calibers that someday will only really be able to be found if you reload, like some of the other "novelty" calibers in the past I suppose. I only call them novelty calibers because they never really caught on.