.17 hmr?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by unclebear, Oct 20, 2011.

1. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Thoughts? I was looking at getting a rifle chambered in this round but thought I'de y'all first. :cool:

2. Nun

Nun New Member

Savage with accu trigger get a good scope. Lots of fun .

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Can be incredibly accurate. Getting about 1/4 MOA 5 rd groups at 100 yds. Ammo about $12-$15 per 50 rounds. Shoots much flatter than .22LR. Good to about 175-200 yds on groundhog sized critters. Love my heavy barreled Savage 93. Little bitty bullet is very wind sensitive. Learn to read wind, not a problem. DEVASTATING on small pests. Crows transform into a 24 inch ball of feathers.

Tried one of the real lightweight Mossbergs (817) in .17HMR. Sold it the next week.

Other than that, no real opinion.

4. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Plus three on the Savage, I've got one with the heavy fluted barrel and accu trigger, 3x9 scope. Its a blast to shoot and very accurate.

5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Had a .17hmr for years... a Savage. I traded it in because I just wasn't shooting it enough. If I was looking for one, I'd check out another Savage.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i bought my Savage M93r17 about seven years ago, and really like it. it is a very lightweight bullet, so it is very sensitive to wind. very fast and next to no recoil. i have never hunted with mine, so i can't speak for it's ability as to what it is capable of in taking game. ammo is a little more expensive than 22 magnums, but not bad. if you like shooting accurate rimfires, you will love the 17hmr!

7. unclebear

unclebear New Member

thanks guys I'll have to check savage to see what they have.

8. Axxe55

i have a friend who just bought a Ruger M77/17 a couple of months ago. i was really impressed with it. haven't shot it, so i can't attest to it's accuracy, but it's a lot more expensive than the Savage, and a little nicer looking rifle.

9. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Mine is a Marlin 17-v, with Leupold 3-9x40 scope. A tack-driver right out of the box, and a very effective round on varmints.

[​IMG]

10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I've whacked a lot of prairie dogs with my Browning T-Bolt with varmint barrel.
    [​IMG]

11. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

And I watched him whack quite a few of them with it!

12. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Cool cartridge, but too pricey for rimfires. If I need more than a 22lr, I reach for the 223rem or 357mag

13. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I had another Savage. I just recently sold it to get some cash up for another revolver. It was extremely accurate I just didn't shoot it much anymore opting for my 22 mag and I don't like safe queens so it went. If I wanted an 17HMR again I'd get another savage without even thinking twice. I'd shot a few others and I likes the one I had much more.
    [​IMG]

14. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

unclebear,

I will just say one thing! With all the rifles I have I think I enjoy my little inexpensive Marlin 917-V 17HMR the best for just having a great time shooting. It is fast at around 2500 FPS and sub 1/2 to 1/4 MOA Groups at 100 yards. Great little rifle and the ammunition for the performance it gives is cheap! $11.00-$12.00 per box of 50 at Walmart or Gun Shops. The Savage is a great little rifle also with it's Accu-trigger. I put a Rifle Basix Trigger in my Marlin but have heard they really have improved the Marlin Trigger since I purchased mine around five years ago.
    I think you will really be impressed with the 17 HMR in a quality little rifle.

15. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I went again a couple weeks ago, THB!

16. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I have a Marlin 917v. Very accurate w/ a 4-16x42mm scope. Fun, but not worth it really.

17. unclebear

unclebear New Member

18. CodyD5

CodyD5 New Member

I've been shooting my ruger 77/17HMR for almost 3 years now and it consistently shoots very tight groups. As another user said, ammo runs around $12-15 a box for 50. I shoot CCI ammo, I find it shoots best with my rifle. Magazines for this bolt action rifle are difficult to find in store but can be purchased online of course. Superb rifle.
    Source: Extensive shooting with 77/17HMR.

19. northhike

northhike New Member

.17HMR has been very popular for its speed, accuracy and range. And lets face it....those mini rimfire cartriges that look like center fire rounds just look cool. :D

I had one...the Savage model of course...and sold it. In my thinking I have a .22LR for things 100 yards or closer and ammo is cheap and abundant. For much beyond 100 yards I wanted something a bit heaftier with some additional knock down....thus I have the .22WMR. Just love those .22 rounds. Truth be told I should have bought a .223 instead of the .22WMR, but for the hunting I do thats all I need.

You really have to decide for yourself, but I just couldn't find the right fit the .17HMR into my levels of hunting.

20. Axxe55

nothing wrong with your reasoning. and i agree the 17hmr does have a specific fit and when i bought mine the specific need or want was an accurate longer range rimfire, as my intended targets were paper. the 22wmr has more knock down power than the 17hmr and the 22lr is way more cheaper to shoot. i do still enjoy shooting my 17hmr and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon, but i like the cheapness of shooting my 22's also.