17 HMR What is the best for the money?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Arnie2toy, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Arnie2toy

Arnie2toy New Member

I am looking to purchase a 17 HMR, I don't mind spending a little money on one, but I want the best accuracy and am not hung up on whether it is a bolt action, lever action etc, I just want a rifle that is extremely accurate. Also, what would be the best scope to use on this format?

Thanks - Arnie

2. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I would look towards savage 93 with accutrigger.

3. msup752

msup752 New Member

I have had a Savage 93 for the better part of a decade. It has a cheap 22x scope on it. A novice friend of mine and I had a shoot out with it. I forgot the pop can so we hit the string it would have hung on and made it dance. It was easy to do at 100yds with that gun.
    I also took out a ground hog last summer with it at 75 yards from standing position. Little sucker popped its head up and it's digging days were over!
    Needless to say, I like the caliber and Savage rifles.

4. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

For the money the Savage with the accu trigger is a lot of bang for the buck.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

labor day 096.jpg

Savage 93, heavy barrel, accutrigger. Closest thing I own to a death ray. Will hold 5 shots in a 1/4 inch circle at 100 yards off the bench.

6. historydoc

historydoc New Member

Agree. Savage 93 for price/accuracy.

7. godale

godale New Member

another vote for the savage 93. they have all price ranges depends how nice you like the stock:D

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I would also say the Savage which the Accutrigger is great! Or the Marlin 917-V (Varmint) I like my Savage rifles very well, but I do have a Marlin 917-V and that little gun as I am sure the Savage 17 HMRs are is phenominal regarding accuracy! 1/2 inch groups at 100yards off the bench and bags. And a box of 50 rounds only costs about $12.00. I love to shoot the little rifle! They are well worth having one! I have a Simmons 3X9 1" Tube Scope on mine. Bushnell is also good for the price compared to the quality for a 17 HMR. There certainly are others.

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I also have a Marlin 917V. Great little rifle. I have a Bushnell 4-12x42mmAO on it. The amberglow optics on the old ones mays shooting into the shadows idiot proof.

10. Arnie2toy

Arnie2toy New Member

I just purchased a Savage 93 & I am amazed at the accuracy right out of the box. I have had a series of groups the size of a quarter at 100 yards today & it is an absolute blast to fire. I am pleased to say the least!!!

11. luke1999

luke1999 New Member

Savage 93 is a tack driver I would get it any day

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

got the Savage M93 without the Accutrigger, but have the Rifle Basix trigger sear. mounted the action in a Boyd's nutmeg laminated stock and has a BSA Sweet 17 6-18x40 scope. very, very accurate out to about 200 yards.

downfall of the 17HMR is a windy day. anything over about a 5mph wind, hang it up and find something else to shoot or do!

Attached Files:

13. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I have the same rifle in a blue finish, love it 100 yards under 1 MOA the only thing that I don't like is the mag system on it other then I love it. I use it for everything from muskrat to crows.

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

another point i will make for the Savage, is it can be bought at a reasonable price. i think i paid like $230 for mine with a scope mounted on it about 7-8 years ago. this was before they offered the Accutrigger on the rimfires. mine did have the synthetic stock, but i added the Boyd's laminate, as they too were not available yet back when i purchased mine.

another thing is, you will need to purchase a dedicated 17 caliber cleaning rod as most cleaning rods in the kits are bigger than the bore of the 17. another point, try out several different types of ammo to see which one is the most accurate in yours.

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

What Axxe said about the cleaning rod. And get bore brushes and jags when you can find them. You CAN do the lenghth of Weed Whacker line with a melted blob at one end for a pull through, and they do no need a lot of cleaning, but still....