.17 HMR for the girl friend

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by hockeyjr1, Mar 7, 2012.

1. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

I talked my girl into coming out to the local indoor range the other day. Thought her how to load up my 22lr and put the target out at 20 yards. I was expecting to see holes everywhere... And to my surprise not one left a 3" circle out of 30 rds! Not bad for the first time shooting this rifle! Pic of target below..

So now this has me wanting to find a rifle for her that can reach to 100 yrds when we go to the bigger ranges.. The indoor one is 10 min from my house but only goes out to 28-30 yds.

She won't be hunting with it and I'll be buying the gun and all the ammo so id like to keep both on the lower side..

One other thing, she's a lefty... And this is a gun I would like to shoot a bit too so I want to look mor towards the semi auto models over a bolt action..

So what good companies make a nice semi auto .17hmr? If I have to I'll buy a bolt action tho.

2. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I do not know of a current production semi-auto rifle in 17hmr. I would look at the Savage 93R17 line of rifles. They are bolt action and come in right and left versions.

3. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

There were only two semi auto 17 hmr's one by remington but they were all recalled. The other is a Russian made Baikal, I don't know if they are available in the States. I think the Savage is the best bang for the buck, just be sure to get one with the accu trigger.

4. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

There are quite a few .22WMR rifles floating about...although the semi-auto's suffer from a different problem...

Due to the long-straight case, most end up having stovepipe FTE's (Failure To Eject)...
    few indeed are the semi-auto's that work in .22WMR, and those that do usually need to have their owner do some hand-polishing on the action.

Past .22WMR rifles (discontinued)
    Marlin 922 (rock-solid, but sales sucked, so it was dropped)
    Grendel R-31 (my personal fav)
    H&R 700 (darn fine rifle)
    Remington 597 in .22WMR (totally sucked, safety jams & other issues)
    Ruger 1022M (production been started and stopped 5 times so far due to issues Ruger will not resolve due to being cheap rats)

Current .22WMR rifles...

Magnum Research's Magnum Lite
    Volquartsen's 1022MA
    (both of the above are based off the 1022M, but far higher in quality)
    Excel Accelerator (not bad, but kinda clunky)

Keltec's RMR-30 (not quite available to the public yet...)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDu_M3doI_E[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  5. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Yeah I looked at the 22wm but the rds are pretty pricey... I might just look into a lefty bolt action and suck it up when I shoot it... She will shoot it more than me anyways...

I have an ar15 that she shot but it was too heavy and the bench we were using wasnt big enough for her... The price tag is out the window to get her own n e ways..

One guy I work with has a ruger mini 14 that's he's selling for 400 bucks.. Idk what condition it's in he said its like new but I'd have to see it for my self... The plus to this is I can buy rds for both of us at the same time... But does anyone
    Know how the recoil is on it? She's only 5"9 115 lbs so she's not fond of hard hitting guns...

6. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Ohh an this was the pic of her target... Forgot to add it into the original post.

Attached Files:

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you considered a lever action? Mini14 recoil is mild.

8. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Yeah I'll consider a lever too.. U know any of those companies making them in the 17?

9. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Found a Henry lever for 410 on CTD... Little too much money to be spending on a 17hmr...
    I don't understand how this girl can shoot a semi auto gas 20ga shotgun for 100 rds in trap and be fine but one shot of my ar or ak on a bench and she's had enough.... Shakin my head lol

10. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I have a savage in 17HMR, it's pretty sweet really nice trigger, heavy barrel, already tapped for a scope, bolt action comes with a 5 round mag. I love it, accurate and powerful can really reach out and touch things, hell just the other day I took a rabbit at 130yards give or take. I think I spent around $350 for it ammo runs any where from $12-13 depending I usually shoot 17Gr V-Max it's cheap but good for hunting or target practice, no recoil a little louder then a 22 but a ton more damage down range. I don't like how the mags are for it and I don't like how the receiver is set up but other then that I love it an awesome little gun for the price.

Depending on what your wanting though depends on your price range really, some rim fire rifles and really get up there in price.

11. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

I actually just held one today... The same one your talking about.. Heavy gun but perfectly balanced.. I used to shoot air rifle for my high school and it's basically the same gun just real ammo. Only thing is the price tag.. 470 bucks!!! Way to much.. Gotta look around a lot more and find one cheaper

12. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I paid $269 for my Savage 93R17GV at Cabela's in Hazelwood, MO

13. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

I just picked up a Marlin 917VRX in 17hmr just a couple days ago for my B'day. The rifle is from the XT series and is a bolt action. It has a 22" bull barrel, Pro Fire trigger(adjustable accutrigger), 2 magazines(1-four shot and 1-seven shot), mounted scope bases, synthetic stock with floated barrel. Price was only $199 at Wal Mart. Rifle's blue finish, while lightly done(not rich and deep), was good and all components fit well. What was also nice, was there's a 5yr Warranty from Marlin. All you need is pick out rings and scope of your choosing. I've only put around 30 bullets down the pipe, but I didn't have any problems that some people say they've been having with theirs---shells jamming due to magazine slop. Just have to watch out for how mags go into the receiver as these magazines have a guide that slide on a receiver bar, and that's where I think folks have been jamming their guns up from by getting magazine up in receiver, but not on guide bar.
    Here's a little rifle you might want to check out. It's the Cricket, made by Keystone Firearms. It's only a single shot, but I know you can get it in 22lr, 22magnum, and I think it's available in 17HMR. I also believe you can get it in a Bull Barrel version. It's available in synthetic, wood and pink stock versions for around $99 to $130 depending on model.
    Del

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The 22 lr will reach 100 yards fairly accurately. SWFA has a BSA Sweet 22 scope on sale for $40. 3-9x40 AO BDC and it works. Once you are sighted in the BDC adjusts the range by turning the drum. Comes with 3 drums for different weight bullets.
    Another option is the 17hm2. It is a 22 lr necked down to 17 and does 2100 fps. My wife shoots one. Ammo on line is 1/2 of 17hmr. I have several thousand rounds I bought for $4-$6 a box when it was on sale. Not as destructive as the 17hmr on small game. You dont need the heavy barrel. My wife has a heavy barrel Savage and it weighs a lot. There were a lot of problems with 10-22 conversions so stay away from them. Pressure spike was too high and they blow up. I would like to have a lighter one. Very under rated round.

15. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

I just found this article... Tested out savage, marlin, and rem 17hmr's.
    The rem is way to much money..
    The marlin is sorta in my price range :/ lol
    Still sketchy on the mag problem with the bullets feeding tho.. Ik u said it doesn't happen to you but these guys had the same problem with not only their two rifles but the one back at the store too!
    I think the savage will be perfect. I told my gf that even if she shoots it standing or sitting to just pull the gun away from her shoulder to action the bolt then put it back there.. She won't be shooting prone anytime soon also lol now to just start looking for one by my house... Might wait till I take a trip to cabelas in hamburg PA to see what they have. Probably cheaper too..

16. coyote_killer3

coyote_killer3 New Member

I just recently bought a Marlin 17hmr with a wood stock, 22" bull barrel, accu trigger, and 10 round detachable magazine. Great gun for cycling ammo. The only problem I have noticed is that it had trouble cycling cheap ammo. However good Hornady ammo isn't expensive in 17hmr so that shouldn't be a problem for you. The gun is heavier than you'd expect with the bull barrel, so keep that in mind for your girlfriend. Hope this helps.
    Thanks,
    Riley

17. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

It was me I'd lean to the 22 mag over the 17hmr. The 22 mag will do anything the 17hmr will do and not be as susceptible to wind when outdoors. If it has to be a 17hmr then Savage makes the best bang for the buck. And they make a left hand model. I'm a lefty but always used the right handed models more out o habit then anything.

18. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I agree on the 22 mag

19. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I disagree on the wind thing. Velocity wins over mass. The 22lr and 22wmr are affected by the wind more than the 17hmr.

20. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Casual shooting out to 100 yards?
    I gotta ask, what's wrong with .22 LR?
    Many people over the years have shot .22 lr out to 100 meters, accurately. I've seen it done with pistols & revolvers as well as rifles.
    See: Smallbore Silhouette. (rifle & pistol.)

IMHO, bolt action is probably a better choice for new shooters. It helps to eliminate the spray & pray mentality.
    As with all things, YMMV.