Firearms Talk banner

.17 Fireball

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  tuck2 
#1 · (Edited)
I was wondering how you guys feel about the new remmington caliber the .17 Fireball.

#4 ·
I have a 17 Fireball

Last year I purchased a Remington 700 CDL SF Limited Ed 17 Fireball and mounted a Leupold 6-18 X scope on it . I also got five boxes of Remington 20 grain bullet ammo, darn it cost $24 per box of 20 ea. After test fireing the rifle I adjusted the trigger down to a three pound trigger pull and free floated the barrel. At 100 Yards I got 6/10 th inch five shot groups with the Rem ammo. Sofare I have shot about fifety prairie dogs at ranges between 125 and 280 yards with the factory ammo. I like the little 17 rifles and have a 17 HM2 and 17 HMR rimfire rifles and the centerfire 17 Rem rifle. I could see the pararie dogs being knock over with the scope set at 18 X and the low muzzle blast did not spook the other p dogs into their holes like when shooting them with a 22-250 Rem. My reloaded ammo using the Hornady 25 Gr HP bullet , 19.0 Gr ( MAX) of Benchmark powder, Federal 205 M primers, in Remington cases will put five bullets into .5 and .6 inch groups..MV avg is 3,880 ft/sec. When ever the snow melts I ll go out and try out the 25 Gr bullets on p dogs. I expect the 17 Fireball to make a fine 300 Yd p dog rifle where the 25 Gr bullet still has about 340 ft/lb energy. With the rifle sited in at 190 Yds the bullet is abut 7/10 th of an inch high at 100 Yds and 5.4 inches low at 300 Yds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.