17-222 mag

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by S Flynn, Feb 26, 2009.

1. S Flynn

S Flynn New Member

Recently acquired this weaoon in great condition, there is no mfg markings on the rifle. I recently read an artical which stated it could have been mfg,d by the Obrien rifle co. in Las Vegas NV. How can I find out for sure? I would also like to talk to someone who reloads these rounds. Thanks

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I found this

O'BRIEN RIFLE CO.
    Previous bolt action rifle manufacturer located in Las Vegas, NV circa 1966-1971.
    Vern O'Brien manufactured high quality bolt action rifles, many of which were chambered for proprietary calibers, including the .17 Mach 4, .17 Javelina, .17-222, .17-222 Mag., and .17-223. There were basically two grades - a Field Grade with rosewood forend tip and pistol grip, and a Presentation Grade with basket weave checkering, Javelina inlaid in the stock opposite the cheekpiece, and a diamond inlaid below the action. All rifles were based on the Sako L-461 action. Circa 1971, Vern O'Brien sold his company to H&R, which produced a rifle similar to his called the 317 Ultra Wildcat. Values are hard to predict in today's marketplace because so few are encountered. A starting price range for the Field Grade is $750-$1,400, and $1,150-$2,500 for the Presentation Grade.
    Manufacturer Specific Product Categories

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

If it is built on the L-461 action you got one hell of a shooter on yoru hands there. My brother has an L-46 sako action 222rem it will shoot in the .2" group range for 5 shots at 100 yards. These action are gems and many guys would pay a premium for them to build custom rifles on.

if you need more infor on the 17-222mag then look no futher that Saubier.com. That is the best place to go for the sub calibers (Sub caliber meaning anything smaller than .224")