16 rnds of 40S&W or 18 rnds of 9mm ?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by genesis, Aug 13, 2012.

1. genesis

genesis New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm in the market for a CC weapon. There are just a ton of really fine guns available from so many manufactures. I don't want your opinion/recommendation on what gun to buy as we all tend to favor what ever we already have. I do want your opinion on the following.

Defensively speaking, in a worst case scenario (isn't every case where you have to use a weapon a worst case scenario) which would you favor? A weapon with 16 rounds of 40S&W or a weapon with 18 rounds of 9mm. A little more horse power vs a little more capacity. Would you rather have those 2 extra rounds or that extra horse power. Think about it. I reload, so ammo cost isn't a problem. Neither is the snappier recoil of the 40S&W.

Thanks for your input guys,

Don <><

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  2. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

I prefer the .40 but I have nothing against 9mm. I just have more experience shooting .40 than I do the 9mm.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

I carry 7 rounds of .45 (plus a reload)
    I used to carry 6 rounds of .357 magnum (with NO reload).

Even though I was a SAW gunner in the Marine Corps, and burned a LOT of ammo in firefights, I simply don't feel that capacity is king in the civilian world.

Both those rounds are fine self defense rounds. And the capacity for both models you're looking at is high enough that I don't see a clear advantage of one over the other.

You reload, so cost isn't a huge deciding factor.

You seem familiar with both, so recoil characteristics doesn't seem to be a deciding factor.

Close your eyes, spin around 5 times, and point your finger. Whichever one your pointing at when you open you're eyes, take it home.

4. genesis

genesis New Member

Hey Trip, I like your style :) From one Marine to another, Semper Fi !

Don <><

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  5. Donn

Donn Active Member

What Trip said. If you need 16-18 rounds, it's not personal protection, it's a fire fight. If that's the case, you're in a bad spot, no matter what you're carrying. Biggest advantage of a hi-cap mag? You don't need a spare mag. Biggest disadvantages? A grip like a brick and it gets heavy humping all day, even a polymer frame pistol.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I carry the .45

7 rounds (+1) well placed shots are better than 16 or 32 rounds of .40S&W wild shots.

(practice, practice, practice)

Magazines are the weak point of semi-autos. If you rely on having only one mag, that is the same as relying on none.

7. connectegr

connectegr New Member

Get what you can carry comfortably, anywhere and anytime. For personal protection, the objective is to avoid a firefight and to get away to safety. If a heavy 45, 40 S&W, or 9mm results in the gun staying in the glovebox or at home, choose something else. 5 rounds of 22mag, in your pocket is better personal protection, than a 45 under the car seat. When you pull your gun it's not about how scary it looks, it's about whether you will pull the trigger. At 7 to 10 yards, muzzle velocity and impact of even a 22 LR will work.

Personally 7 rounds in my Kimber Ultra and a spare magazine, is easier to carry than my 13 round Sig Sauer 40 S&W. And the Seecamp 32 in my back pocket is even more practical.

8. marc29th

marc29th New Member

99% of self-defence shootings are 3 rounds or less. So 16 or 18 doesn't really matter.

9. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Within the OP, 16-40's or 18-9's being the only choices, it comes down to which I am more accurate with. For me is would be the 40 under 25' anything over that I would choose the 9. Just me and my shooting style being the basis of my opinion. In real life I would rather have the 7+1 .45 and a extra mag or 3 as this is what I shoot the best.

10. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Ive noticed lately that both have been being loaded down a bit. Many on an equal level. 9mm is cheaper per round, whivh affords one to train more and be more proficient l. Both are good rounds, and it would be a tough choice indeed. I might go with the 9 if it was me in that position.

11. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Id personally go with higher capacity, simply put :)

12. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

I agree that it really doesn't matter in your situation. Just flip a coin or something. If you shoot both accurately, ammo cost doesn't matter, and recoil doesn't matter...then either flip a coin to decide or add that coin to your piggy bank and save to buy both :)

13. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Which one has better holster options? Is there a significant weight diference? I have a 14 round 40 and a 15 round 9mm. They have neither one left the safe in a long time. I find myself carrying my 7+1 9mm in my front pocket, or my 1911 on my belt. With all the crazy mass shootings I keep hearing about that 1911 is coming along a lot more than it used to. So is the spare mag.

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Of your options I would go with the 10mm short and weak. I carry 16 rnds of the real thing.

15. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i vote .40. its pretty snappy. but very managable for follow up shots. less penetration to have to worry about vs the 9mm

16. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Less penetration? How did you come to that conclusion and whats your source/evidence for that?

Not tryin to start a fight here, its just that many tout the 40 as more powerfull than the 9, heavier bullet going faster, wouldnt that equal GREATER penetration? Again i personally would probably class them as similar power class.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  17. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

18. G20Leon

G20Leon New Member

+1 on the 15 rounds of 10mm

19. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

To me, it's all about the power to weight/size ratio.

My daily EDC is a Kahr PM 9...because it's the most horsepower I can pack into a platform small enough for office carry.

My bedside gun is a Sig 226 .40 S&W...because I love the way it handles...and they don't make it in .45 ACP

My Cold weather EDC is one of my 2 1911's...because NOTHING shoots like a 1911 and if you can conceal a .45 why wouldn't you?

Honestly, I have little concern with stopping power amongst these 3 major caliber choices. It just comes down to the size of the gun that round is going into to.

Tack

20. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I switched from 1911 to glock 20. More rounds and more stopping power. Also lighter.