$1500 for an AR

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Baxter, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Baxter

Baxter New Member

I have $1500 to spend and would like to leave around $300 for ammo. So in the $1200 range what AR would you guys go for built or out the box. Colt LE 6920 M4 carbine is in the lead at the moment. what you guys think?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

bravo company then colt then rra for shtf

rra then bravo company then colt for target shooting

i lean brav company and rra a little over colt simply because the CS if there is a problem is a bit faster than colt. colt just has a little longer process but still great service. bravo company i havent heard of anyone needing their gun there for more than a week week and a half depending on mail times.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

3. watchjonbeep

watchjonbeep New Member

Don't forget armalite!!!

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

Armalight is not the original armalight nothing at all similar other than the name.

They have had some spotty quality issues that make me leary of them over the years.

5. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

$1300 is a GREAT budget........Something along the lines of a 6920, I'd look at the BCM, DD, LMT, in addition to the Colt that's a fearsome 4.

6. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Most versatile, do-it-all $1200-1500 setup...

I'll be building that rifle, primarily through BCM and/or PSA. It'll be a 14.5-16" barrel/1:7 or 1:8 twist/midlength gas, M16 C158 BCG, BCM Gunfighter CH, Magpul stock/grip/trigger guard and maybe even handguard...and the LPK will be bought at PSA, as a PSA/Magpul LBK. At your price I'm adding flip sights and a decent red dot. That can be Vortex, but it can also be Aimpoint if you jump on the right PSA package.

BCM and PSA are where I'd start. But there are other fine options...here's an excellent complete upper with a nice handguard for $699.

For a complete rifle, it's PSA, Daniel Defense, or 'bust' in my opinion.

7. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

The Colt or the Rock River if you are talking about a general purpose shooter/defense rifle. Both of mine were $1100 or less, which would leave you extra $ for more/higher quality ammo.

8. Baxter

Baxter New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

9. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Or push it down to 1000-1100 for the gun which will give you great RRA and BCM midlenghts ( I am no tincluding colts because w/ a 16 inch barrrel I want a midlenght gas system) then you can spend money on Ammo AND optic :)

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I would go with Rock River, Stag, Daniel Defense or LMT (Lewis Machine and Tool no doubt. The truth of the matter Colt is not even building their own guns anymore. They are subcontracted. Not saying they are bad guns. In fact probably better is some cases. Since as the years passed their quality also declined due to mass production. But there is certainly nothing wrong with building a rifle from good quality parts from a very reliable and proven companies. However it is a sure thing with the ones mentioned above. One of the reasons I would probably choose the Rock River Rifles is due to obviously their reputation quality and reliability. And also the fact that some of their standard models come with options as a part of their standard price at no optional cost. Like the Entry Tactical or Elite CAR A-4 for example which comes standard with the RRA Two Stage National Match Trigger, RRA/Hogue Rubber Pistol Grip, Star Selector Switch, M-4 Handguards on the Tactical, Side Sling Swivels and the limited lifetime warranty on all factory parts and labor. And they are built at a bench by a trained armorer not an assembly line process. My philosophy is you get what you pay for! And since it may be your first and important purchase and something that will last for years of service and pleasure I do not believe in rolling the dice! ;) Good Luck on your selection there are several good rifles to choose from and a good reference is the guys and gals here on the Forum.:)

11. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

12. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

This stuff can be packaged together to save money. PSA often has Magpul LBKs (ACS, MOE, CTR, or STR stocks) for like $150. They also have solid lower receivers for around $100.

You can do the whole lower half, with Magpul grip/stock/trigger guard for about $300 after Xfer fees.

13. samnev

samnev New Member

I own most of the AR's the OP has on his list. But my favorite and most accurate AR is my 2 RRA's one the Elite Comp the other the Elite CAR A4. They both shoot well under 0.75 moa all day usually closer to 0.6 moa. As the previous poster said " One of the reasons I would probably choose the Rock River Rifles is due to obviously their reputation quality and reliability. And also the fact that some of their standard models come with options as a part of their standard price at no optional cost. Like the Entry Tactical or Elite CAR A-4 for example which comes standard with the RRA Two Stage National Match Trigger, RRA/Hogue Rubber Pistol Grip, Star Selector Switch, M-4 Handguards on the Tactical, Side Sling Swivels and the limited lifetime warranty on all factory parts and labor. And they are built at a bench by a trained armorer not an assembly line process. My philosophy is you get what you pay for! And since it may be your first and important purchase and something that will last for years of service and pleasure I do not believe in rolling the dice!" Neither do I.

14. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

::coughs:: Argyle Armoring ::coughs::

15. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Come on, someone get a build from Argyle already.
    I'd like to see an active and helpful members business being patronized by a member of the board sometime :)

16. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Sounds like we have a volunteer!

17. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Toxarch on here has a friend who ordered one of my 300 Blackout rifles a couple of weeks ago. SpartanTC81 on Facebook and YouTube is taking one of my rifles to put it through the run through's and review it. Should be up online in the next few weeks.

I can guarantee you won't be disappointed in the quality rifles I build.

18. msup752

msup752 New Member

I built mine, sort of. It gave me a lot more pride and knowledge.
    I started with a PSA complete upper w/ free float hand guard. Ordered magpul flip up sights and Vortex Strikefire. Tossed the charging handle for a BCM gunfighter
    Then I headed to the LGS and bought a PSA stripped lower. Ordered a punch set, multi wrench, and PSA lower kit with a Magpul CTR stock and Gissele SSA-E trigger. Spent an hour assembling the lower and most of that was putting in two springs.
    So I have a reliable custom creation complete with sights for about $1300. It is probably cheaper now as everything but the upper and stripped lower were purchased during the panic as the parts became available.

19. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

My votes for the RRA. Better trigger than the colt, match quality barrel, Wylde chamber for better accuracy than the milspec chambers, but still can shoot 5.56 NATO with no problems. Great warranty.

Only downside (some people call it a downside anyways. I don't notice the extra weight) is the sucker is built STOUT. Close to 10lbs. But if you aren't humping it 10 miles a day the weight doesn't matter.

20. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

If you don't get one from PSA you will waste your money on an inferior product. Because we all know by now that PSA is the best thing since liver and onions with gravy. :D