Firearms Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've sighted my Remington 700 in using 150 grain bullets in the past and have only been able to find 180 grain bullets with the shortage going on. Unfortunately I don't know if I'm going to have time to go shoot the 180s before I go out hunting, can anyone tell me how much of a difference I'm gonna see in accuracy? My shots will be 200 yards at the most and I have my gun zeroed at 100, would I have to aim any differently with the heavier bullets?

·
Premium Member
7,896 Posts
You did not say what caliber you are shooting. I would guess it is either a 06 or a 308. You should still be 'minute of deer' at 200 yds with either. I don't have the exact #'s, but from experience that is my take on it. Good hunting, with the price of meat I hope you get some for the deep freeze. :) And welcome to the site!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You did not say what caliber you are shooting. I would guess it is either a 06 or a 308. You should still be 'minute of deer' at 200 yds with either. I don't have the exact #'s, but from experience that is my take on it. Good hunting, with the price of meat I hope you get some for the deep freeze. :) And welcome to the site!
30-06, thought I included that! Hopefully I'll be able to get out and shoot but if not, hopefully they're close enough that it shouldn't matter!

·
Supporting Member
13,299 Posts

Your 30-06.
The Rifle Zeroed at 100 Yards with the 150 gr.
But each ammunition shoots slightly different according to the Round. But that will let you figure it out close! So IMO at 100 Yards the 180s should only vary somewhere around 1.5 - 2 inch at the most in elevation. so you would simply aim 1.5 to 2 inch high at 100 yards!
Windage depends on the round! But at 100 possibly little if any but it it does probably no more the 1.5 to a max of 2 inches. As I said it is hard to know buy this should put you in the Ball Park! (y) To many variables with different ammunition.
But once again it would only take a minute to make the slight adjustments that would be required for the 180 gr. Bullets. Your looking at only an MOA or close adjustment.
But if you do be sure to record the changes you made so when you go back to the 150s you will have the information for both incase you would ever go back to 180s. But be also sure you copy down the details on the Box.
I do know that with the 180 gr. Bullet Zeroed at 2" High at 100. It will drop an additional 2.82 inches at 300.

Reactions: j102
1 - 5 of 5 Posts