15 round magazine

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by johnbrowning, May 8, 2012.

1. johnbrowning

johnbrowning New Member

Notice I said magazine, not clip. Question: Baby Desert Eagle 15 round magazine, I can put 17 in there. I don't keep rounds in there Just load 'em up when I go to the range. Will that screw anything up?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Not it should be fine. You would be worse off if you constantly loaded and unloaded the mag. Keeping it full or empty won't hurt it.

3. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Agreed with mountainman. But, can ya get 17 rounds in a 15 round mag?? :confused:

4. johnbrowning

johnbrowning New Member

Tagged 15 rounder

All the lit states 15 round mag. With my UpLULA mag loader I can fit 17

5. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Wierd! My Kimber was shown on the Kimber website, as being 7+1 capacity, but I was able to fit 8 rounds in the mag that came with it. However, on close examination, it is an 8 round mag with witness holes for 8 rounds.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

If its supposed to be 15, I'd only put that many in it. Mostly because I'm not a metallurgist and don't know the effects it would have on the spring.

7. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

If you overload a mag, you run the risk of bending the spring, which can cause a FTF.

8. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

9. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Great article Chandler thanks.

The author does say that the problem is not with the steel springs, the problem is with the brass cartridges. So he recommends rotating the cartridges, not for the sake of the spring, but for the sake of the brass casings to prevent them from becoming bent.

New insights.

10. johnbrowning

johnbrowning New Member

I don't carry the pistol, just shoot it and it works fine "most of the time" FTE 1 of 100. I like loading three mags and shooting reloading and getting after it again.My browning Challenger I Load 6 mags but they will only hold 10 rds. If I were to carry I would go with a revolver, misfire just keep squeezing.

11. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Don't be too sure. I have a revolver that, fully loaded you could play Russian roulette and have a decent chance of not shooting yourself. Revolvers have their issues. The idea that revolvers are 100% reliable, especially when compared to modern autoloaders, is a myth. Don't limit your choices based on that notion.

My response was in regard to the overloading of magazines. You can rev an engine past redline also, but you do so at your own peril.

12. johnbrowning

johnbrowning New Member

no notion just fact

never had a problem with wheel guns S&W 586 Colt Python , Colt SAA.never a problem. I have not come across an autoloader. that nothing, ever happens.
    Wheel gun FTF just keep squeezing, unless you have Chinese ammo there shouldn't be concerns.

13. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Your fact is based on your personal experience. My experience tells me that revolvers can and do fail. It's no coincidence that cops and militaries no longer use revolvers.

But, to each their own. If you're happy, then that's all that really matters.

14. johnbrowning

johnbrowning New Member

Btw they are going for greater volume of firepower. That's why us military went from .45 acp to 9mm double firepower. I'm happy ,I try to get the last word the word. Unless you write back and tell me I'm a jerk. Then I'll be a little bummed

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

You jerk ;) sorry, I couldn't resist.

16. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Nah, not a jerk. Just wrong. :D

I'm kidding. If that's your choice, thats all that counts. The rev vs auto, 9mm vs .45, Ford vs Chevy will live on. That's why I try not to devote much time to it. :)

17. Old_Dog

Old_Dog New Member

Getting ready to shoot my BDE for the first time and just noticed that I loaded 17 into each magazine with my UpLULA too. Small world. Two extra mags must mean the springs are not very strong because it was not difficult to load them.