12ga stopping power???

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by alex19ccc, Aug 28, 2012.

1. alex19ccc

alex19ccc New Member

im asking what your opinion is on the stopping power of 12ga buckshot & slugs.

i ask because ive read alot of disappointing stories such as buckshot just bouncing off creatures skulls and things like that. i also want to know if you guys think a slug would drop a decent sized bear if hit in the right spot. we have quite a few black bears were im at in missouri...and my father seems to think that one will attack us while strolling through the woods! XD
    but he doesn't believe that the good ol' mossberg will do the trick... i think otherwise..cuz ive shattered cinder blocks pretty good..

so yea.. basicly what im asking is.. what do you think about the 12ga as defense from the larger predators? o.0

2. gladesbassin

gladesbassin New Member

If your worried about a bear I would get some bear mace honestly. I think a shotty COULD do the job but you gotta worry about the what if's...what if you don't hit it in the right spot, what if it doesn't drop it right away, what if you miss...bear noses are way more sensitive than ours and if you hit em with mace they will haul tail outta there.

3. gladesbassin

gladesbassin New Member

But I really don't live anywhere near a large population of bears so I guess it would be whatever your comfortable with.

4. alex19ccc

alex19ccc New Member

oh im not REAL worried about it, we only see one once in a great while. and they have run the other way every time.. now.. dont take me for a bloodthirsty jacka55. but i would like to take one of these down.. ive never had the chance to kill anything bigger than a possum :p

i really dont want to do it illegally either... would you happen to have a basic idea of how much a black bear tag would cost? o.0

5. gladesbassin

gladesbassin New Member

Naw, if you wanted to know gator tags I could tell ya. I would assume all you would have to do is go on your states wildlife commission website and go to the hunting section and that should have all the pricing. I wish we had a nice population of bears around here to hunt but the main thing down here is gators and wild hogs.

6. alex19ccc

alex19ccc New Member

yea ill have to look it up.

awww man.. im jealous!
    ive always fantisized about gator hunting.
    where are you from?

7. gladesbassin

gladesbassin New Member

I live in south Florida, 20 mins from south beach and 15 minutes from the Everglades. Best of both worlds. Although I do love the country side and travel to ga occasionally. What about yourself?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  8. alex19ccc

alex19ccc New Member

that sounds amazing..
    i live in southern missouri...springfield to be exact. i live in the city, wich sucks for someone who loves to hunt! especially when i dont know anyone with land.. i have to usually find ppl on craigslist etc. that are willing to let me use their land :/ cant wait to get a place outside of town..

by the way, how much is a gator tag? just curious :p

9. gladesbassin

gladesbassin New Member

It's $272 to get a permit to trap them and this come with 2 tags and $62 for 2 tags, but you gotta be put into a lottery for it so it's not promised lol. But you will usually get it, they do three phases of drawings and you can purchase extras in the third phase if not all sold out(this is Florida resident prices) non resident prices are crazy. Lol

10. alex19ccc

alex19ccc New Member

i see..trap them? you can shoot them right? :p

so its kind of expensive, but i bet a gator hide could fetch a good price :D

11. gladesbassin

gladesbassin New Member

But to have people hunting with you they have to have a alligator trapping agent license which is $52.

12. gladesbassin

gladesbassin New Member

Yea you can shoot em wouldn't wanna put one in the boat alive lol. You can bash em in the head and knockem out or tomahawk em in the top of the head.

13. gladesbassin

gladesbassin New Member

It's a lil pricey but if you know who to sell em to(which I don't) I'm sure you can make some nice coin. Gator is some tasty meat though.

14. alex19ccc

alex19ccc New Member

ok just had to make sure :]
    so this is usually done by boat? i always imagined camping out in a tree with some bait set or something haha.. gator tastes good?! :O
    i would of never guessed!
    yea you should look into finding someone thats interested in gator hide for sure.

also out of curiosity. what would you usually use to hunt those things with? o.0

15. gladesbassin

gladesbassin New Member

Oh yea gator is awesome tasting, you gotta try it one day. You can do it how you want but if you wanna get to the big boys I would do it by boat because the big ones stay far out in the swamp. As for how to kill em...might sound funny but a .22 with suffice...you wanna hit em in the top of the head about 3-4 inches dead center behind the eyes. You don't want a gator head with a exit wound out the bottom part of his mouth. so that's why you use the .22.

16. gladesbassin

gladesbassin New Member

The gators skull is really hard so you can't just shoot him anywhere in the head or you'll get ricochet. It's a dangerous hunt for sure lol. Nothing like deer or turkey.

17. alex19ccc

alex19ccc New Member

well now i plan on trying some one day :p
    ahh i see. id just be alittle nervous gator hunting from a small boat. (i have a fear of water monsters) haha!
    a 22. eh? sounds like a risky shot, i wouldn't wanna miss that soft spot!

but no that doesn't sound too funny. from what i can tell the 22. gets better penetration then the 9mm.

18. gladesbassin

gladesbassin New Member

The boat it's the fun part about it lol. But I understand, I'm a big fisherman but I won't go out on the ocean on a boat...that's just to risky for me, if I can't see some sort of land or atleast swim to it then I'm not willing to risk that. Plus I've seen shark week and great white can do way more damage than a gator lol.

19. alex19ccc

alex19ccc New Member

yea. well if i had my gun with me on the boat id feel alot safer..so yea.. id do it.
    i also love to fish^ never had much luck in these missouri lakes though :p
    i know what you mean about about being far from land..
    sharks vs gators. theres a thought..

so...what guns do you own?? (let me know if your done talking cuz ill blather about hunting all night) lol

20. gladesbassin

gladesbassin New Member

I own a mossberg .22 715t, ruger lc9 for concealed carry and a Taurus pt140 pro. I will be picking up a glock 19 next week and also a glock 32 the week after. Then I'm thinking about getting an ar15 just not sure if I wanna build it or just buy one. What about yourself?