12ga clay target shot shell reloading

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by wittmeba, Nov 11, 2013.

1. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

I have 2 reloaders (12 & 20 ga) from about 1968 and I am considering reloading for the 12ga again. I've searched for all the pieces and tried to break down the pricing on a per shot basis. I am disappointed with the cost as compared to buying new factory loads.

Back in the olden days I could reload a box of 25 for about $1.00. This equates to about 1/2 the new costs. I realize inflation has greatly affected the cost as well as other details like they type of shot allowed, cost of metals, etc.

If my numbers are right I cant justify reloading over buying new factory loads. Anyone spot anything wrong in my calculations or values?

I can purchase the equivalent load for about $7.00/box.

===
    Trying to recreate our reloading specs of back in 1967-68
    1 1/8oz 7.5/8/9 shot - 2 3/4 drams ea - 12ga - 18 gr powder

New box of Remington was about $1.99
    We could reload a box of 25 for about $1.00

1968 Prices:

Cases:
    Remington Plastic 8 point crimp - Blue case, short brass base & white plastic base wad
    Winchester AA Plastic 6 point crimp - Red case & molded base wad
    Federal Papers 6 point crimp - Redish brown waxed & fiber base wad

Primers:
    Winchester CCI #109 (my recollection is the #209 wouldn't seat and fell out) - #109 fit everything we reloaded
    $10.00/1000

Powder:
    Red Dot 3# cardboard canister (about 6" dia and 10" tall only filled about 1/2 full when new)
    $25.00 ?

Wads:
    Don't recall the brand but Power Pistons were about 1.2 X and didnt work as well for us.
    The wads we used were plastic cup wad straight solid side with a fiber insert - number #4 or #5 provided the best crimp for our loads - but I dont recall the brand.
    They came in a yellow box about 6" square and 15" tall - opened about 2" from bottom for easy access
    $5.00/500

Shot:
    Lead 25# canvas bags #7.5 or 8 or 9
    $11.00/25# bag

===

Reloading 12ga today:

Purchase new empty / primed cases $18.00/100 - use #209 on reloads $40.00/500 (.18 each)
    RedDot Powder - $18.00/1# (7000 / 1# or 388 loads) (.05 each)
    Piston Skeet Wads - $15.00/500 or ClayBusters - $12.00/500 (.03 each)
    7.5/8/9 shot - $100.00/50# (800 oz = 700+ shells) (.13 each)
    ======================================= ========
    Total cost for reloads: (.39 each)
    Per box 25: .39 * 25 (9.75 each)

===

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  2. bobski

bobski Active Member Sponsor

what size loads? 1oz or 1 1/8oz?

3. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

That is why my Mec 9000-G sets alone in the corner. My Trap guns are retired. It cost too Damn much for shells and $50 bucks a week to shoot in the club leagues. Shotgun sports are quickly closing down in this part of the country.:(

4. bobski

still beats a buck a round for rifle shooting.

5. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

bobski - they were all 1 1/8 loads as indicated in the first statement in the recreation process. The lead was always the most costly element in our reloading.

I don't even know what a round of 25 clays cost these days. Back in the 1967-68 it was less than $3.00.

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

It does not cost a dollar per round to reload any common rifle or handgun rounds. Many of us cast and swage jacketed bullets. We are not victims to the ever swinging lead shot market.
    Shotgun competition shooting is not attracting younger shooters. The cost of shells and fees is only appealing to an older group of shooters.:(

7. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Watch it there buddy :)

8. indy36

indy36 New Member

"I don't even know what a round of 25 clays cost these days. Back in the 1967-68 it was less than $3.00."

My club is $5 per round for a non-member and $3.00 for a member.

9. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Purchase new empty / primed cases $18.00/100 - use #209 on reloads $40.00/500 (.18 each)
    RedDot Powder - $18.00/1# (7000 / 1# or 388 loads) (.05 each)
    Piston Skeet Wads - $15.00/500 or ClayBusters - $12.00/500 (.03 each)
    7.5/8/9 shot - $100.00/50# (800 oz = 700+ shells) (.13 each)
    ======================================= ========
    Total cost for reloads: (.39 each)
    Per box 25: .39 * 25 (9.75 each)

I gotta not agree with all this as I just bought supplies for a lot less..

First off if you are "reloading" then u should be using fired hulls.. Can't RE load something that wasn't loaded before!!! :)

So there off the bat your down .18$...

What I don't get is where you say use 209 on reloads 40/500.. I would think this is a primer but have never seen them sold in 500 bricks and def not at that price.. I just bought fed 209a for 37.99 for 1k.. So primers are only 4 cents..

As for the shot I have found a guy who orders by the pallet at my local range and he gets a bag for 42 bucks.. Also In these times I practice with 1 oz loads unless it's before I go into a comp then I would switch over right before.. This would be 11 cents a round

I'll agree with your wads and powder prices tho so here's what it looks like..

Primers .04
    Hulls free
    Shot .11
    Wads .03
    Powder .05
    Total .23 per round..
    Total per 25. $5.75

Now yes this isn't taking into consideration hazmat fees or shipping but that stuff usually evens out the local tax on boxes of ammo anyways..

My local dicks sells gun clubs for 6.99 a box.. But they sometimes are on sale for 5.97 and that's the only time I go an buy..

I like reloading, the science and the ability to make hot loads for myself and light ones for my girlfriend..

And remember there's nothing wrong with stocking up on supplies.. For the longest of time this summer I couldn't find target loads.. Only the random game loads that really are to much for my girlfriend.. (She shoots a 12 ga) and this I why I just started to reload myself..

Search online and u can find stuff..

Powder valley inc is a great site..

10. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

To get me started I need some empties. I don't have any yet so I included pricing for primed cases. Perhaps I should find empties online for a start. I did not include primers for the initial loading and would not include primed cases but would need to include primers only for subsequent loading. I didn't realize primed cases were so expensive. It would be one or the other - not both.

This is a significant difference between primed cases and just primers for fired cases.

My pricing might be wrong - I'll look that one up again.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  11. bobski

im using supplies i stock piled 5-6 years ago, so reloading is still cheap for me.
    1 1/8oz loads are dinosaurs today. switch to 1oz for 12ga.
    i sell used hulls. pm me if you need some.
    or...
    http://classic.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=12520239
    lead in some places is 37.00 a bag. areas vary.
    primers are cheaper by the 5000. cci are cheaper than winchester. best deal i find is federals.
    stay away from noble. they are metric flash hole sizes. they open up your hull and others will then fall out.

reloading allows you to make custom loads. thus whatever it costs, some shooters say the trophy it wins them is worth it.

btw...buck a shot + is what im saying factory shooting is compared to 5.97 per 25 in shotgun shells....thus shooting skeet/trap is cheaper than rifle matches.

targets are 5.00 a game here. its still a lot more exciting than laying on your belly all day for 60 shots.

what makes shotgunning expensive is one game isnt enough and you can burn thru 5 10 boxes a day. well, at least i can.
    i avoid big industry memberships...like nssa,ata,nsca, etc...they charge you to register your targets. the return on your invetment isnt worth the time, and it ends up being the same people you shoot against wherever you go. and they all seem to have mobile homes and shoot 40,000.00 k80's. and unless you were taught by a certified nssa instructor, or jp, bender, or shima....they look down on you.
    local shoots are more fun, cheaper, and still have an element of social interaction and friendliness.

12. bobski

hulls....

most reloaders prefer a hull that can be reloaded 5 to 6 or 8 times.
    those today are:
    winchester aa/hs
    remington nitro 27 gold
    remington green sts
    remington gun club

though cheaper to buy these are usually tossed after 1 or 2 reloads because of cardboard base wads. ...

federal top gun
    federal field
    federal pink
    rio
    estate
    fiochi

dont even bother trying cheap walmart winchester universals.

13. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Wittmeba.....

You would be better off buying some ammo to start and then pick up your empties off the ground.. I was saving for a while and got 2k of gun clubs and 300 of nitro or AA hulls.. My trap range just throws them in the trash anyways..

Xmas just came to my house early today.. Got 1k wads 2k primers and 4lbs powder dropped off to my door!!

14. bobski

hockey..where in ny do you shoot?

15. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

East end of Long Island.. Suffolk county trap and skeet.. Been wanting to go to Brookhaven for Thursday night clays but usually get stuck at work.. Long range rifle shooting I do at Brookhaven.. And if I wanna stay close to home I just go to Nassau county indoor range..

Your in NY too?

16. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Yes, buying store may be the best way to get started.

We used to get 6-8 reloads from Remington with the white plastic base wads and Win AA.

Problem was reloading was popular at Hidden Valley Gun Club and the hulls picked up from the ground may be very well used.

But it was fun - shooting lots and saving money too.

17. bobski

im across the sound in conn.
    i shoot the clubs in conn.
    ive been wanting to shoot l.i. by taking the bridgeport ferry over but never got around to it.

18. bobski

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I will pay for AA wads but I won't pay for AA hulls unless I needed them yesterday. I am not above dumpster diving for hulls.

20. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I question some of your numbers;

$40/500 for primers? OMG, I pay half that

What load are you using? My Red Dot load is 16.4 gr. That equates to 426 rds/lb That load is tight shooting and easy on the shoulder.

Claybuster's version of the WAA12 (white) wad is hard to beat. Virtually the exact wad used in the Winchester AA shells.

$50/a bag for shot? I don't pay more than $40. Check Rotometals.

Comparing such a handload to bargain basement loads is very much apples annd oranges. My loads shoot every bit as good as the high end AA loads for FAR cheaper. They will outshoot the typical "Dove and quail load" by a long shot.

If you are in the market, I have about 600 Federal Gold Medal hulls I am willing to part with. If you want to load heavier stuff, I have boo coo Federal #4 high brass hulls