12 hours, really?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by NGIB, Oct 5, 2010.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

It seems like every other thread lately has a picture of glowing sights. I know some of y'all bought this stuff so I have a question - does it last 12 hours on a single "charge" as advertised? I have used nitesiters dots (to adorn the plain black front posts on some of my guns) and in reality the glow lasts maybe an hour. Let's hear it folks, how long does this stuff glow...

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Unless you have tritium sights (or do like the Irradiated Boy Scout, and scrape radium paint off old clock hands), no, not 12 hrs. There are a few different formulas for luminescent pigments, and they are better than they used to be a few years back, but light levels drop after an hour or two, and go down like the trajectory of a 45-70. After 2-4 hours, levels are low enough that after your first shot in darkness, muzzle flash will probably keep you from seeing them at all (your low light vision went away). May come in handy for a first shot. There have been shooting schools that teach using muzzle flash from first shot to acquire target/ sights for fast second shot.

Me? I use trip flares. :)

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

C'mon you testers - lets hear the real scoop...

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'd like to know about this as well.

5. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I used it a while back and no you will not get anywhere near 12 hours. The one thing I do like is it seems to reflect light in lower light situations but no it does not have it's own light for 12 hours.

If you are looking for a product like this then it is worth the money.It works a littlew better than a few others that I have tried. and it is very inexpensive. THe stickys seem to last a little longer than the liquid. I have some on a remote here that I lose a lot and it has helped me keep up with it some.

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

For the money, what do you think? :rolleyes:

The paint -on in the vial is bright as all get out when you charge it, but it does not last 12hrs. Still worth the $$

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Not saying it isn't worth the $$$, just that maybe the vendor needs to scale back a bit on the claims of performance. What do you get - maybe an hour or two of actual "glow" tops?

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I'll do a test tonight and get an exact for you. The peel off glow on decals last all night on my remote. They are dim by morning,but I can still see it in the dark.
    As far as the sights, I'll do a test tonight and post back to this thread for you. :)

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I don't believe the products have reached the testers yet. I was working with Gato behind the scenes on the list of who's who and then he had some connection issues here at FTF. All is sqaured away and I believe the samples are en-route....

JD

10. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I got pretty much the same results from the stickys. The liquid I have now applied a few coats trying to fill up the indention(s) in a three dot sight set up. I have found the more applied the longer it lasts but I'm only seeing a couple hours or so of actual luminescence. I can still see the sights in pretty low light for a good while though. I chalk this up to it reflecting any ambient light it can get it's hands on. I still got to get another coat or so in my "sample sights" to really feel like I have it applied and cured like it appears to need. But at the stages the length of glow still I don't think will reach anywhere near twelve hours.

But at the cost it's probably one of the better products I've used. I've tried a few different type over the years some of which where a good but more expensive. The Ghost Glow stuff made by Bright Sights that Midway sells doesn't last half as long. But you do get a few viles of different glow paint and some high viz stuff but you're looking at anywhere between 14.99 and 22.99 depending on the kit you get. At what the Glow-On stuff sells for what...10 bucks for the vial but it had some of the sticky strips in it too. It's worth what you pay for sure. Compared to the Bright Sights stuff it's a much better value.

11. gatopardo

gatopardo New Member

Gato here

Heck I would've come sooner to the party but NGIB keeps on talking to me, even though we were having a nice visit, had to come see what you guys are doing.

First things first, packages sent Monday morning via USPS, to asrrive Wednesday or Thursday.

About the twelve hours: It is how the material gets rated, 12 hours is the finest, best material, compare to Luminova used on expensive watches.

How to test it? Easy, all we need is a small box, a piece of Glow-on self adhesive. Go out at noon with the Glow-On, expose it to the sunlight and put it back on the box, keep in a closet, wait until midnight, take the box to a room with no windows, maybe a bathroom, DON'T TURN ON TE LIGHT!.

You get in there and wait for a few minutes until your night vision kicks in, i should take about five minutes, then OPEN THE BOX!

Do you see something at all, if you do, then yes is rated twelve hours.
    Keep in mind, you'll see a faint whitish glow, (as night vision don't perceive colors).

I leave a couple of pistols next to me and a rifle every night, if I wake up at around 4 AM to check the cars the dogs or go to the restroom I always see five things as soon as I get out of bed:
    - The light switch.
    - My pistols sights.
    - My remote control ( just in case of TV emergency )
    - Cell phone
    - Fire extinguisher

Listen guys, if I was wealthy I would give the stuff free to schools and people, here in Oklahoma sometimes you wake up and the roof is gone because of the tornadoes, and of course you have to find your cell to tell someone.
    However I'm not a rich man so I'm doing the best I can, fortunately my wizardry ad my minions level the play field.

Drum junkie, you are right, there is a reflective material in the mix, if you take a jewelers loupe you'll see it.

Enough of bias talk, live long, i'll be back in a few, I have some pics for a test. Gato

12. Highpower

Highpower New Member

13. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Does laying on the glow on in the vial make it last longer? I'm not getting that long on my sights, but the peel on stuff lasts just about all night long.

I may need to fill up my sights more? They are 3-dot on the xd. :)

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Mod Time:

Listen up, and I mean everyone: :mad:

We have a Vendor who is Supporting FTF and is selling their product. There is nothing wrong with that and we have EVERYTHING to gain.

I am sure everyone started somewhere, and we are lucky to have several small Vendors here that includes our own stalkingbear.

Gato believes in his product so much, he JUMPED at a chance to be part of a "challenge" that I proposed and he would not take a red cent from me or the forum to send samples to 7 or 8 S/M's who wanted in on some free testing.

Now, I don't know about where you all come from, but from where I am from and in the house I was raised, that is what is worthy of some god damn respect. :mad:

I would KINDLY ask you all to just take a chill and see the results of the testing.

Thank You for your attention.

JD

15. gatopardo

gatopardo New Member

You might have to, the thicker the better, on mine I filled them "full" to achieve maximum luminescence.

[​IMG]