12 Gauge Pump Shotgun vs .45 Semi auto handgun

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by galapogos, May 8, 2012.

1. galapogos

galapogos New Member

It's 3:00am. Your house is dark since all the lights are off. The silence is broken with the violent sound of a door being kicked in then multiple footsteps in another room....you know that noone else in your family or acquaintance should be in the house...

Next to you is a loaded 12 Gauge shotgun pump action with 6 cartridges loaded. Also next to you is your trusty .45 with 7 rounds loaded. Assuming both are loaded with the ideal self defense rounds and...

Assuming both are 100% reliable....and in this scenario....You can only choose one.

Which do you instantly choose for this emergency and why?

I'm wanting to know what you guys as experts (or at least compared to me) think.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Do they have night sights?

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

You or the bad guys?:p

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Ahh context gets me again. Do the guns have night sights?

5. WARRIOR78

WARRIOR78 New Member

I would go with the shot gun. if there are more than one person that broke in, and one shot from the shot gun will scare them. atleast it would me.

6. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

I keep a nice little 180 lumen light next to my .45, so that's what i'd grab

7. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

Both would do a good job but yeah 8 to 12 .33 pellets would be a lot more devastating than a single .45 hit. Right now though I'd still grab my .45 as I have a lot more training with it and I have a light mounted on it (X-300), keeps one hand free to open doors etc.

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I guess I'd go with the .45 and grab my 420 lumen tac light and put it on strobe at the first sight of movement. Even if they were armed they would be too disoriented to return fire.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

most assuredly would go with my shotgun. i have a 45 also, but in the scenario you described, definately the shotgun and let the wife use the 45 for backup while she's on the phone to 911!

10. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Shotgun, multiple targets, a tight patern with buckshot will do alot more damage then a 45. Also there is the adreniline and accuracy issue, shotgun

11. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Would not need to choose because I'd stay put...Basic ambush 101, the noisy guy stomping around will be the one walking into a bullet.

Tack

12. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Good point, Tack! If there was a sound of breaking in, and then silence, I may leave my bedroom with a shotgun (180 lumen light attached) to investigate. However, actually hearing a BG walking around in my home I am getting behind my bed with my shotgun facing the bedroom door. I would NOT announce myself!!

If anybody walks into my line of sight I will fire without any warning!

Shotgun in both cases, for the record.

13. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

See I see it the other way I take the .45 and give the wife the shotgun because I'm better trained to hit where I aim she'd be more likely to miss so she gets the scattergun aimed at the door with the instruction to shoot anyone that comes through the door

14. cmidfield14

cmidfield14 New Member

Shotgun for the stopping power, hallway clearing, and the spread. Plus, If i run out of shells, it's a better club than a pistol. Also, My trusty .45 is a Glock 21 - plastic does not make a good club (however I would never have only 7 rounds in it as it holds 13+1, however, I think I'd still rather have the shotty)

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

actually my wife is a decent shot with a pistol or a shotgun. not so great with rifles though!

better plan, i send her out with the shotgun and i back her up from the bedroom with the pistol!:eek::D LOL!

16. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'd take 45, for maneuverability in tight spaces,

and faster point time...

17. orangello

orangello New Member

I'd go with the shotgun; i have put MUCH more lead through my Mossberg than through my XD45. That physical "training" should help carry me through a panic shooting situation.

18. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

A tough but good question I suppose only 'instinct kicking in' at 3 a.m. would have to answer that one for me. I do have, in fact, both weapons mentioned.

19. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

Stay put with the shotgun unless you have kids in another room to think about. Your TV isn't worth a firefight. See Cane's quote in my sig.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  20. G23LCPK45

G23LCPK45 New Member

Hands down 12 gage. Why? When I rack it, it declares I am here. My loved ones will immediately speak up and inform me they lost their key (safety 1). BG stays silent and we begin. I'm in a 2 story house and they have the advantage. Run, or listen for my foot steps and continue with their folly. I won't hunt them (safety 2), no belongings worth my life on the first floor. On the second floor is me, my most valuable asset. Shotgun at the top of the stairs has no rivals. Downside...after 6 shots with the shotgun, I have to buy new doors, 2x4's, wall board, flooring, etc. 45? seven dabs of sparkling if I live fixes things. The home renovation project after unloading a shotgun on someone will be good therapy for me the survivor.