12 Gauge Double Barrel Shotgun...Good for hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Megalodon101, Mar 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Megalodon101

Megalodon101 New Member

What do you think?Is it a good or bad gun for hunting?In my opinion its a good gun,just needs to carry more ammo.

2. Megalodon101

Megalodon101 New Member

It would be good for hunting if you give it a try.I don't ow one,but I had tried one while hunting deer.

3. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Used to hunt duck and phesant with 12 ga. auto and over and under. I perferred the over and under double barrel as it had modified cylinder choke on one barrel and full choke on the other. Also, IMO, the heavier front end of a double barrel lends itself to a smoother swing for follow through on moving targets in flight.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

One of my most prized firearms is a cheap Brazilian sxs 12. My lady bought it for me as a 1st anniversary present.

FWIW, while I HAVE picked up doubles when shooting doves, I RARELY see anyone get a deer with the 3rd shot. If #1 and #2 fail to do the job, the strange sound you hear is Bambi laughing at you.

I DO like the way a double swings. I have never felt undergunned- and just a thought- but a broken firing pin, mainspring, extractor, etc etc is not as important when there is another perfectly functional set right next to the bad one.

For intimidation, from the front it DOES cause one to wonder if a truck is gonna come outa that tunnel?

5. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

SXS barrels often aren't regulated on cheaper guns. You'll need to find out how each barrel shoots and compensate for it. +1 on what c3 said, if you dont get it with two shots fuggetaboutit

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Hawg,

Where ya been? All is well?

7. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I've been in and out just not posting a lot. Everything is well. Thanks for asking.