12 Gauge Alternative

Discussion in 'FirearmsTalk Support and Suggestions' started by James S Davis, Jul 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. James S Davis

James S Davis New Member

Have a Mossberger 500 that I purchased 4 years ago and have yet to fire it. Not as strong as I used to be and am worried about the recoil when I finally go to shoot. Which will be soon, as I am wanting to start target shooting and practicing my skills.

I was wondering if there is something for home defense that I may be more comfortable with for a rifle. Have a handgun that I am happy with. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

SK2344 and schnuffleupagus like this.
  2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

20 gauge shotgun.

Upgrade to a gas operated semi-auto shotgun.

Pistol caliber carbine.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020

3. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Welcome Mr. Davis.

For the 12 gua. When you go to the range take some low-brass shells. The recoil is a fraction of a 3" magnum round.
    A 9mm carbine would be fine for home defense, particularly when concerned about felt recoil.

4. Gatoragn

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    ellis36 and schnuffleupagus like this.
  5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

My suggestion would a a gas operated 20 ga, like a Remington 1100.

Another good choice, IMHO, would be a quality 9mm carbine.

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  6. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

I am considering a 16" CMMG in 9mm for Mrs Snuffleupagus
    Screenshot_20200712-081030_Chrome.jpg
    But that price! Whew! they dont give them away

PaBushMan and locutus like this.
  7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

James
    Here is something you might want to look into!
    Federal Power-Shok *Low Recoil Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" Buffered 00 Buckshot 9 Pellets Box of 5.
    Federal Low Recoil.jpg

You can also get low recoil rounds in other loads.

8. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Only have one shotgun - a gas-operated Mossy 930 12g. Probably does okay, recoil is manageable with sub-3" shells, but I'm a bit uncomfortable with it as it requires it to be locked and cocked and chambered before adding additional shells. So it sits with 5+1 in my bedroom, locked and cocked with the safety on (best for things that go bump in the night). I would prefer one without one in the chamber (or at least un-cocked). I'll probably keep it but am considering a 20g pump for both recoil and manual considerations.

For others (aside from pistols), I have a ready M1 Carbine, a Mini-14 in 5.56, and a Beretta CX4 in 9mm. Whichever one is closest in time of need is the one that would be used.

Sniper03 likes this.
  9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I have a Winchester model 50 shotgun in 20 gauge. It’s a very old, beautiful shotgun and very handleable. I would suggest a 20 gauge if you are set on a shotgun.

RJF22553, schnuffleupagus and locutus like this.
  10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

James.
    There is nothing more intimidating or deadly than a shotgun with the proper ammunition.
    Even Racking the Slide has a definite pucker and deterrent factor. While on the Metro PD late one night, I racked the slide of my Remington 870 12 Ga. Mag. Shotgun. And the Burglar messed (#2) in his pants!:p
    But I would also highly suggest a good AR-15 Rifle with some type of Red Dot sight for home defense as well. 223/5.56 very little recoil at all! And also easy to acquire sufficient skill operating as well as shooting accurately. That might be something you might consider?

Of course there are other considerations when it comes to home defense. Like how many people are in the house. Where are they? And at night what is the proximity of their rooms since drywall does not stop any shot or bullets. We are basically talking about what most of us would call field of fire. This must be studied before an incident should arise!
    To make it simple the angles of engagement. You definitely as mentioned my pre think about others in the home or area.
    Good luck on your decision there are many here who will have some great suggestions!:)

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  11. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man Well-Known Member

Any pistol caliber carbine would work for a good home defense weapon. Something like the HiPoint carbine comes to mind. Not much penetration but is still accurate enough to reach out 100 yds.

winds-of-change likes this.
  12. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

Limbsaver recoil pad...

Or a smaller gauge shotgun as stated above.

AR-15 in some variant. My AR is just about the same overall length of my HD shotgun.

primer1 likes this.
  13. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I would prefer a handgun over a rifle for self defense in a home.

mrm14 and locutus like this.
  14. Gatoragn

Get an AR 15 pistol caliber.

15. Triumphman

Triumphman Well-Known Member

I've looked around and seen some companies now make a 410 upper assembly for the AR15. Would make for a decent light shooting HD gun and nice hunting rifle for squirrels/rabbits and pest varmints. Uses stock AR15 lower assembly. They have uppers for different prices on sites, but mostly due to the magazines used and how many rounds that magazine holds, from 5-10 depending on seller's site, but the need to look at shells length due to reports that the magazine has some problems with feeding, but when one knows this, there's been no problems. The uppers is going for around $300 +/-, and most places are sold out, so look around if something like this would interest you.

Other option is, many places still sell 28 gauge pumpers and that would be a great choice for someone who can't take the recoil of a 12 or 20ga, while 28ga shells are still plentiful in many areas on the shelf while still keeping costs down compared to cost of 410.

I myself have a Rem 870 20ga and its a great shooter without recoil of 12ga, has good selection of "shot" sizes along with slugs that has no problem bringing down large deer, but when one gets into shot size, the larger pellet like double-ott(00) or slugs the more powder used and longer shell tube needed to push the round out of the barrel, which brings the recoil into maybe a heavy grain 44magnum shooting, compared to 7-1/2 or 8 shot, even though there's more pellets coming out the barrel.

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

[​IMG]
    This is a Freedom FX9 pistol with a brace. I had one of these until my wife decided she liked it. She can't hold up an AR15 but the short barrel and short LOP work perfectly for her. There is another one called the Extar that is less money and lighter. I like the 8.5" barrel on the Freedom over the 6.5" barrel on the Extar. Link below.
    https://www.extarusa.com/
    Highpoint makes a carbine in 9mm, 40 10mm and 45 that is very reliable and inexpensive.
    Another option is the Aguila mini shells for your Mossberg. You would need an Opsol adapter ($15). Equivalent to a 20 gauge and it doubles your capacity.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    Gatoragn likes this.
  17. tac foley

tac foley Well-Known Member

I'd be happy with a 10g semi-auto, but then I LIKE big guns.

If there was ever an 8g semi-auto, I'd prefer that. :)

JTJ likes this.
  18. JTJ

19. JTJ

Another option. I have a Mossberg 500 410. It came with a 24" vent rib barrel and I ordered an 18.5" cylinder bore for it. I keep it loaded with 9 pellet #4 buck shot. It is light and little recoil. Thanks to the Taurus Judge a lot of very good defensive 410 ammunition is now available.

primer1 likes this.