12 ga shell losing powder?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by falseharmonix, Jun 14, 2009.

1. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

I was just unloading my Mossy, and I noticed that one shell appears to be losing a sand-like substance that I can only assume is powder (i've never reloaded so I honestly don't know).

Should I just discard the shell? Its not exactly pouring out, but here a grain, there a grain....

2. LtpLegend

LtpLegend New Member

I would throw it away. I re-load shot gun shells a lot and on reloaded ones the seal is int always perfect every once and a while a shell you reload just isint that good a quality and the crimp is open a tad. I loose shot sometimes through it.

Power is under the wad though which is under the shot. So if your loosing powder from the shell then the seal from the brass bottom to the plastic is bad or its cut, or maybe even a loose primer. Either way you don't want that, it might blow out the side of the shell and damage your barrel. Are you sure it's from the shell and not residue in your barrel falling out or actual sand or dirt. Like if you drop a shell on the ground and load it after wards.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009

3. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

The shell has never been outside (HD shotty), and it is in my hand while losing the powder. Nothing from the barrel.

4. LtpLegend

LtpLegend New Member

could just be defected from factory.

what number shot is it. Even up to number 9 shot you can easily tell the shot is metal balls unless your eye sight is going. Or if its a salt shot used for less than lethal ammo. If its little black square like things though then its definitely power and I would trow it out. Whats one shell.

5. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

00 buck.

the sandy stuff is white, but kinda like crushed gravel, not fine like baby powder..

6. LtpLegend

LtpLegend New Member

Oh does it look like this?

[​IMG]

if it does that Buffering sand. I believe it helps keep a tighter grouping.

7. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

yea, the white stuff....thats it

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Shot buffer. AKA Grex. Sometime the heat sealed crimp gets damaged or is not very good to begin with. You can seal it back up. I use clear silicone sealant. Just a dab and smash it smooth with a fingertip.

9. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

the silicone wont interfere with anything? I'm assuming it wont, due to the laws of physics. just dont want anything blowing up in my face, hands, or other.....

10. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

Shot Buffer leak

Harmo. sealer glue will work, but you also can use candle wax. If your shotty is not in 100o+ temp. it will work. Probably also look good=Red load-red wax??

11. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I get that from many turkey loads. Not a big deal unless it all runs out of one shell. No need to seal the load or worry 'bout here a grain, there a grain.

The pricier Federal "shock" loads leak the beady white stuff more than any other, but I have killed more birds with the Federals than any other. I have never re-sealed them.

12. robocop10mm

A small amount of clear siliconewill not effect pressures. I use a dab the size of a pencil eraser or smaller (depending on the gap). Tip of finger presses it down to fill any voids.

Wax can ger brittle in the cold, crack, fall out and cause the same problems.

13. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

hey robo, do you do that on your reloads as well? Sometimes if my crimp isn't as tight as I would like it on the occasional shell I'll get a small opening as mentioned before. I'm not losing anything thru the hole but the silicone should seal it off from moisture.

14. robocop10mm

I load buffered buck shot loads and the clear silocone keeps the buffer from leaking out. I load bird shot and found that if the crimp is not perfect the smaller shot can and will leak out (especially #8's).

To maintain consistency, I simply seal all shotgun ammo in this manner so they all have the same pressures and will pattern the same. One caulk gun size tube will seal about 2000 shells. I just finished one off yesterday. Yeah, I have loaded a bunch of 12 ga in the last 6 weeks.

15. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Just out of curiousity, how much shotgun shooting do you do? I reload only my target ammo, I use mainly 8 shot. Never went thru enough buck to load my own.

16. robocop10mm

When I find time I like to do some target shooting (skeet/trap type). Mostly informal w/hand tossed targets. Really I have been restocking my larder after getting my MEC back up and running after a 4 year hiatus. I had several thousand hulls stored away awaiting the loader repair.

Target load - 16gr of Red Dot, WAA-12 wad, Win 209 primer, AA hull, 1 1/8oz shot. Soft shooting but a killer on Texas doves.

Buckshot - 31gr of Blue Dot, WAA-12R wad, Win 209 primer, Win high brass compression formed hull, 12 .312 diameter (0 buck) pellets cast slightly hard (4% antimony) + buffer (1 .45 ACP case full). 1200 fps with all 12 pellets in a B-27 at 25 yards.

I have a similar load for Active hulls using BP - LBC-43 wads and one using the Federal high brass gold medal and a WAA-12 wad.

17. robocop10mm

Oh, and having less than 1K of buckshot on hand is a Class C misdemeanor here in Texas. Considering a Lyman Foster slug mould and roll crimp tool to stay in compliance with the new slug law for Texas. Minimum of 500 rds/shotgun or pay a fine.

JK on the law part, of course.

18. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

Thanks much for the advice. I knew it wasn't shot as they are 00 buck, but having zero experience reloading I wasn't quite sure what it was.

And, the diagram is interesting to have as well.

off to the hardware store....