12 g Slugs help

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by ajap0617, Feb 9, 2013.

1. ajap0617

ajap0617 New Member

I just purchased my first shotgun...a Mossberg 500 with a Blackhawk Knoxx pistol grip which is great on my shooting hand eliminating much of the recoil...I have only shot 2 3/4 00 buck 9 pellets... I have never tried slugs...can you recommended a brand etc...also for HD are slugs an option over buckshot...thanks

2. akers06

akers06 New Member

Winchester super x are the best rifled slugs in the market

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

You could go with buck and ball for HD, a slug and buckshot in one.:D

4. austin92

austin92 New Member

I always recommend horniday for HD/SD. Love their stuff

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Considering that for defense you are NORMALLY talking about close range, you might consider if slugs give any real advantage over buckshot.

Effective range of 00 buck- about 30 yards. Effective range of slug- about 100 yds. Slugs will penetrate more than buck- can be advantage or disadvantage. Somebody in the front hall- buck. Being shot at by someone in a car- slug.

If you shotgun is a smoothbore, stick to rifled slugs. Sabot slugs are intended for rifled barrels, and from a smoothbore, will travel pretty well wherever they please.

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Pretty much agree.

But for H/D I prefer 12 pellet 00!

7. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

Pretty much anything will do.

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

For hitting the target in most self defense situations it does not matter if you use buckshot or slugs. The buckshot is not going to make a pattern much larger than the palm of your hand at 10 yards, both slugs and buckshot have be fired accurately. What you need to think about is after you hit the target. Do live in an urban area? If you do live in an urban area or a subdivision with small lots over penetration is going to be an issue.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I will be contrary. 27 pellet 2 3/4" standard loads #4 buck for HD. 00 will over penetrate and go through a lot more walls. Stay away from the mags inside your home. Pattern your shotgun at 7 yards. Put a 2" aiming dot on a clean piece of cardboard. The big hole is the wad. You will be surprised how little they spread at that distance. Do not believe Hollywood hype. You can and will miss if your are sloppy. There are a lot of opinions on slugs but we carried Brenneke Slugs for bear protection in Alaska. The hollow base slugs would not do the job on a bear. Probably good on deer and people though. The noise of a shotgun in a confined area is devastating. Be ready for it.

10. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

if your using a pistol grip........slugs are counter productive

need to use a full length stock to get ANY acuracy at all from slugs

11. akers06

akers06 New Member

That has nothing to do with shooting accurately

12. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

oh yeah?..........try hitting anything with a slug using the pistol grip

13. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I don't think he was referring to a "cruiser" but a pistol grip to help absorb some recoil!

I totally agree with the 0000 buck its a devastating load inside its range and home defense surely qualifies!

14. akers06

akers06 New Member

Are you talking about a full stock with a pistol grip or just the pistol grip....Bc I shoot very actually with the full stock and Pistol grip

15. montveil

montveil New Member

+1 on the 4 buckshot.
    More than adequate stopping power for home defense and over penetration will be reduced.
    A slug can go through several walls which will endanger persons in adlacent rooms and even nearby apartments or house
    If in a near by apartment/ home, there is only 1 sheet of wallboard, one sheet of 1/2 inch plywood some insulation and siding before exit.
    A 12 ga slug has awesome penetration and will completely through both sides of an automobile which is more than most handguns and some rifles.
    At 15-30 feet almost any load will do but 2 1/2 inch #4 buckshot with 27pellets of 20 caliber will drop any intruder. A hit in the leg, or arm will essentially sever the limb. As stated earlier, you still have to aim as the pattern will be probably only 4-6 inches even with an open choke.

16. ajap0617

ajap0617 New Member

Thank you for all the responses I appreciate it... My Mossberg 500 only has the Blackhawk Knoxx PistolGrip...it has helped a great deal with the recoil pain in my shooting hand... before I replaced the factory grip I would not enjoy practicing firing from the hip...the Blackhawk has allowed me to enjoy the practice...it takes practice to get proficient shooting from that position... but I have gotten quite good...I'm up there in years and with various injuries I had to go this route... I wouldn't recommend it unless you have the time to practice...

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You might consider getting a laser.

18. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

Yeah I'm thinking something in the 2-3 terawatt range! :D:eek::D

19. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

For slugs I like Federal or Winchester in a Foster style slug. My Mossberg seems to like Brenekke slugs. Don't know about primary use for HD, but I do keep a couple in the side saddle. I prefer #1, 00, or #4 buckshot for HD.

20. ajap0617

ajap0617 New Member

By the way... there is no ammo in Florida... even 22lr is gone... forget gun control.. no ammo and you don't need gun control...